More flexible rubrics

0 Likes
(1)

Currently, our RTO is going through major course rewrites. I am currently investigating how best to implement this into our canvas instance. This has made the rubrics in our case redundant as they do not fit and RTO style. Also in terms of design, they are very clunky and time-consuming which becomes a big issue where trainers can have more than 100 students. There needs to be a way to simplify it to fit the style or have some other option that can be used quickly in class. Even an option to take videos as evidence would be good too. Design-wise the simpler the better. Ideally, we want the trainer to use an iPad in class to mark this. I've attached a sample of the new assessments to aid in this.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @Wadmin -

I think I understand what you're looking for. It's not a large change. However, there is a need for more parity between the mobile experience and the web experience with rubrics, right?

The web interface has space for open comments, alongside the ratings. The Canvas Teacher app does not. If the Canvas Teacher app had the space for commenting, you'd be able to leverage the rubrics without using them for scoring, I believe.

How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader? 

If that's the case app rubric feedback ipad is open for conversation! Let the Community know if that request would help you create the rubrics you need. If so, the ideas can be merged.

Wadmin
Community Member
Author

We need it on the desktop version too as it would make it a lot easier for our trainers as it would be simpler to mark quickly as a large portion of our trainer's struggle with digital literacy. The current rubric system does not work for us. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

There is an idea open for conversation that may address part of this request: Add Categories of Rubric Criteria. This would allow you to group the sections together.  

Would the categories and the comments section in the Canvas Teacher app seem like they'd make it possible for you to create what you need as you can use ratings with or without influencing the total score in the course.

Please let the Community know what you think!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

gmosesx
Community Member

Here's how Moodle offers a "Grading Checklist"

https://inside.sou.edu/assets/cis/distancelearning/pdf/create-a-checklist.pdf

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived