More granular permissions for admins

(6)

Right now setting Permissions for different course and account roles is very difficult because many of the permissions are tied together so you can't have one permission without also having the other checked. Yet, there is no list of what each permission actually impacts and which permissions are related to each other.

When we are developing a new role we almost always go through the lengthy process of:

• adding a permission to a role
  • logging in as someone with that role and checking to see if that person can do what they need to do but not things they shouldn't do
  • if the setting isn't correct, then going back to permissions and try checking or unchecking something different to see if we get the desired result
  • wash and repeat

If permissions were more granulated and separated out it would be much easier to (1) understand what the permission actually controls and (2) provide the right level access to specific users.

Comments from Instructure

The New User Interface is included in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14) .  Go check it out!

Comments from Instructure

The LTI - add / edit / delete permission has been grouped into three separate permissions, as detailed in the  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15).

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

120 Comments
cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

The Enhancement Request has been updated to:

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

These 10 items are now open for voting.

Remember: If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived. Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

The 10 new Ideas will close voting on Wednesday, November 4, 2015. Please help them get the 100 votes need so they are not Panda-Catted (aka, archived).

Thank you.

ctmath2
Community Novice

Can we add to voting...

screenshot-area-2015-09-02-143359.png

These tasks should be separated out as they cover a very broad range of abilities under the generic guise of "manage courses."  In our case, a support admin should be able to access student view in a course he/she is not enrolled in, but the support admin doesn't necessarily need the option to permanently delete the course.

Thanks!

ctmath2
Community Novice

Not sure if this is quite the appropriate thread to post this thought, so please let me know if I should post somewhere else...

It would be nice if when you hover over a permission, a description of what that permission does pops up.  It would be easier than having to reference back to the documentation.

Thanks again!

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have created " modifiedtitle="true" title="In Permissions, Separate Manage (add/edit/delete) courses into 3 permi...​It just needs to be approved and then will open for voting next month.

ctmath2
Community Novice

Many thanks!

kate_hill
Community Contributor

Can you please address the need for a Role that will allow certain users to view Attendance? I have several people who work in the administrative offices, and need to have access to our Roll Call Attendance in order to meet federal attendance requirements. These are not "regular" Canvas users, so I do not like that they have a lot of administrative access - but, I have to give them quite a bit of leeway in order to ensure they can look up the attendance records for each course.

Please help, or let me know if there is a role that will allow that, but keep them from making huge changes otherwise.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

This Idea has unfortunately been archived by Canvas, but I'm betting you might get help (or a possible answer) if you ask a question over in Find Answers.

harker
Community Member

I agree. They should be parted out.

At our U we don't want anyone to delete the course, monkey with the course settings, or add courses to the account.

But we do want them to edit their syllabus, and be able to reset their course and perform a course copy.

I really hate the all or none umbrella concept. I don't care how big the permissions window gets as an Admin. I just want to be able to have our settings be able to match our university policies and procedures.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please take a moment to vote on the 10 (number 11 opens next month) requests for breaking out the permissions. The links to the idea requests are about 2-3 entires above this one. Thank you.

asatkins
Community Novice

Susan, you are a wonderful, patient woman for creating all of those, lol.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you Smiley Happy  Now we just need them all to get 100 votes so they can move forward.

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

This one is now open for voting.

jen
Community Contributor

I am trying to create a new role in Permisisons that will give a facilitator the ability to view all student submissions (assignments, quizzes, discussions)  and the rubric score a teacher has submitted but NOT be able to change it. Can you help me specifically find that combination of abilities?

I have created a new role called Facilitator.

I have turned OFF the following: "moderate grades," "edit grades," "create and edit assessing rubrics" and "manage learning outcomes."

I have turned ON: "view all grades" (or else I wouldn't be able to see SpeedGrader).

I have turned on "View all students' submissions and make comments on them."

Would you please clarify which permissions govern:

1. Scoring using a rubric. This might be aggregated with "View all grades" or "View all students' submissions and make comments on them." The Canvas Permission Updates guides are clear on creating and managing rubrics, but not on using them.
  2. Altering the score associated with an already-entered rubric assessment. (I would have assumed "Edit grades" covers this, but evidently not.)

I'm thinking that Canvas just won't let me control roles in this way.

UPDATE:

I received the following response:

• At this point I couldn't find an option that would allow you to create a role that was purely read only in respect to the rubric assessment. It may be possible to do work on the front end to hide the save button (custom css/javascript), however that is the only solution I could find.  
    I did see a feature idea for changing permissions to be more specific to functionality that was archived however it seems to be similar to what you're wanting:
    https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1527
      I am sorry I couldn't find a method to make the rubric read only for your role but if you need anything else please let me know.

Daniel Nehring
    Support Engineer II
millerjm
Community Champion

@jen ​ please submit a new feature idea with this information! 

There is definitely going to be support for having a role for only scoring using a rubric.  There are already a bunch of other permissions feature ideas because we were asked to separate them out instead of having them all lumped together. 

jen
Community Contributor

@millerjm ​ - I will submit a new feature idea, but this isn't about having a role for only scoring using a rubric. This is about having a role for being able to VIEW without being able to score with rubrics. That's the critical piece here. Thanks.

millerjm
Community Champion

Yeah, that's definitely not something that you can currently do.  Smiley Sad  Share your feature idea here once it's posted.

jen
Community Contributor

Here it is:

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...