More section control for group creation

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For additional information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10).

When creating groups with the option to "Split Students into X Groups" that should also have an option to restrict to same section.

Also, when viewing the groups and who is not in a group. There should be a filter by section option.

28 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user 

My apologies.  I think I missed updating this idea almost a year ago.  So I wanted to check with you and see what you thought.  In the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) we introduced the ability to require group members to be in the same section.  We also marked this idea complete.  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4464-randomly-filled-groups-of-equal-number-limited-to-student... 

Do you agree that this meets your needs?

RobDitto
Community Champion
rebecca_denham
Community Participant

Hi there,

Just wondering if there's any traction in this - currently for our situation having students in the same section makes no difference, as all our students are in one course section, and also in other smaller sections. We really  need to be able to choose the sections! My suggestion here would be to be able to create group sets on sections (similar to assigning assignments).

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New