[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

We recently moved from Pearson eCollege's LearningStudio LMS to Canvas.  This feature was available to instructors in LearningStudio.  Students submit their work to the Dropbox.  If a student accidentally submits his/her work to the wrong Dropbox basket, the instructor has the ability to click on a link to Move to Basket.  When clicked, the Move to Basket screen displays all the Dropbox baskets that are available for the course.  The instructor can then move the submission to the proper Dropbox basket in the course.  This would be a really nice feature to have in Canvas, too.

MoveSubmissionInLearningStudio.jpg

priddle
Community Novice

Even if there's no support for moving submissions from one assignment folder to another, instructors need the ability to delete submissions. In one of our courses, a student mistakenly uploaded a document containing confidential information. We need to remove it from Canvas but I don't see any way to do that short of deleting the whole course.

kona
Community Champion

While I understand that Canvas wants to keep a record of everything submitted to an assignment, I have to admit I'd love the ability to delete and/or move incorrectly submitted assignments!

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Students submit to the wrong assignment slot frequently enough that this is definitely a feature our staff need!

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

It is surprising how often students submit to the wrong assignment and this feature would be useful

hvaughn
Community Contributor

We had this ability in our previous LMS as well as the ability to track WHO deleted the assignment - student or instructor, and WHEN it was deleted. The tracking is important as we have had a case where an assignment was deleted after it was submitted by the instructor who claimed to have never received the assignment.  Sad, but true. Luckily the tracking ability in the LMS was comprehensive enough show time/date of the assignment submission, assignment deletion, and to identify the account that deleted the assignment. So I vote to add this, but would love to be able to track the history of the submitted and then deleted assignment.

matts
Community Novice

This has become a real frustration for my colleague and me, who co-teach a course.  We have two folders for students to submit assignments, one for her and one for me.  When a student incorrectly submits an assignment to me, I am stuck with it and it shows on the home page that the assignment still needs to be graded, even though it was submitted to the correct folder subsequently.  I cannot delete it, but I cannot grade it either!

sharris
Community Participant

This is a must. If they aren't going to implement this, then they really need to give students a view of all of their submissions for each assignment (instead of the most recent).

marthazumack
Community Contributor

We'd really like both features! Students would like to be able to see the feedback they received for previous versions of an assignment.

chris_sweets
Community Explorer

Delete is also very important when having extra submissions can throw off your item analysis.