cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

(48)
If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

112 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

You could certainly re-create a similar Feature Idea so that it has a chance to be voted on again in an up-coming voting period.  Maybe you can rally people together to get enough votes for a new idea.  This one only missed the mark by 21 votes.  See the links I posted above in early November.

corey_jeffers

I wish I would have known about this to be able to vote on it. This is a "must-have" feature. At least being able to "return" it or have a different icon to show that it was submitted, but incorrectly...

amanda_zenker

I agree!  Otherwise it is somewhat of a logistical nightmare for teachers to remember which assignments have been turned in, but aren't really ready for grading (due to being incomplete, incorrect, etc).

glink

I just had a student accidentally submit a midterm exam in a group assignment. It is frustrating that I don't have a way to delete the submission or move it.

sosborn

To be honest this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. I have worked in numerous LMS systems and they all have a way to delete a student submission. I can't help but shake my head at the lack of this feature. It is exceptionally frustrating.

dee3

Good grief. I am new to Canvas, but not to LMS or MOOC. I'm not impressed. This is not a "feature." It's basic functionality. Students are just learning to use this. Assignments get submitted incorrectly all the time.

rbarrett25

I can't believe that this has been archived for over 6 years!!!!! This is a standard feature in EVERY OTHER LMS I've worked in. We just moved to Canvas and I have to say, this type of stuff is what makes it beyond frustrating. People have been asking for this to be a feature as a very real problem for years. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rbarrett25 ...

In all fairness, I had brought this Feature Idea over from the old Canvas Community website, and the Feature Idea process was different then.  Although my submission here in the Canvas Community first started in April 2015, I do agree that this would be a nice feature to have in Canvas.  A similar Feature Idea could be submitted again.  Maybe priorities have changed for people since April 2015.  I'm also encouraged by Deactivated user‌'s comment, "I'm going to have to Archive this for now, but don't lose hope. This is a really solid feature request and one that deserves our attention. It won't evaporate from our minds just because it's archived right now."

robert_jewitt

Is this for real? I’ve just been foced into adopting Canvas and I honestly can’t believe that this function doesn’t exist. I’ve got lots of students new to the environment and they’ve accidentally uploaded the wrong files. This is not a one-off... I might just ditch Gradebook for TurnItIn instead

gasstationwitho

I had a student submit a file to the wrong assignment.  I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to move it to the right place, only to find out that Canvas made this obvious need impossible.  (I thought it was just really well hidden, like so many of Canvas's features.)

This was my first time using Canvas, and so far I have been decidedly unimpressed with the available features and the awkward interface.

gasstationwitho

"It won't evaporate from our minds just because it's archived right now."  That was in 2015.  It sounds to me like "Archived" means "forget it forever".

hmakela

We have a student that accidentally submitted confidential information and would like for the submission to be deleted.  This functionality is definitely needed.

lmc545

I've encountered a problem where a student shared private information about being sexual assaulted in an assignment submission. It is incredibly important that I be able remove this submission to protect the student's information from being shared with all Instructors and Teaching Assistants for the course. The ability to delete submissions is desperately needed in situations like this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

lmc545 

This is a very unique case.  Have you contacted support through the help menu of Canvas to see if they can remove the content?  Let me know if you need help.

isobel_williams
Community Contributor

Hi

I am in a support role for teachers using canvas and they have started asking about this feature.  This would be a very useful enhancement especially for younger students.

tjonas

i must say, it is rather ridiculous that this issue was "archived"-
since the entire california community college system is using this LMS-
you need to start listening to what the users need, and having the abilty to delete or move submissions is key-

if you need to have a "record" of submissions, then do so. but not having the ability to move /delete submissions is causing a lot of headaches for students and instructors.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @tjonas  

This idea is currently open for voting, and has been for a while.  I think you are referencing the comment made here, when you're talking about the archived status?  This idea was archived for a while, but that was with a different process.  We have since made Changes to the feature idea processes (2/24/17), and this idea was reopened at that time.  

During the time the idea was in archive status there was another similar idea submitted.  You can find it at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4394-delete-submissions-by-students" modifiedtitle="true" titl....  I am talking with Chris Hofer now to see if he would like this idea to remain open, or if we should direct all votes and comments to the other idea (we can't merge ideas, or we would!).

Thanks.

gasstationwitho

It says it is open for voting, but it doesn't increment the count when I vote it up.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Try voting down and then back up again.  Sometimes the vote buttons can be a bit difficult.  🙂

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

gasstationwithoutpumps, your upvote has been tallied.

272795_upvote-counted.png