[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
pchaney
Community Member

Hi Lynn,

I agree, if the instructor cannot delete a student's submission; the student could complain a lot, but would learn that it's impossible.

Actually, once in another LMS, I found that an instructor had deleted a submission and then suffered immediate 'amnesia'. In this case the student was right in claiming the instructor had deleted the submitted assignment - but if the instructor could not delete student submissions, this would not have been an issue. In your case, not allowing instructors the ability to delete submissions would be have protected you from the unfounded accusation.

I do think students should be able to delete their own content, but still think admins need to be able to delete things.  It's downright embarrassing to tell your boss that, while you are a "Canvas admin", you have to submit a support ticket and be put in queue just to delete content on your own system. The boss is probably thinking "I guess it's not really your system, is it buddy?"

I know there's the 'unethical admin argument', but in every similar system - email servers, file servers, web servers, directory services, etc., system/server admins are trusted to manage threats, content, and users in the systems their institutions trust them to manage. Canvas admins should be able to make and act on these kind of determinations without having to rely on Canvas Support. And don't get me started on user tracking ....

Paul

BTW  Kelley,  if your passing out great big Panda Hugs, we need a few after a week like this!

ofelia_mangen
Community Explorer

Instructors or at least admins need the ability to delete assignment submissions! Aside from the use-cases already noted here, it would be very helpful for demos. I'm doing a Turnitin demo on Friday, and just ran through the demo as a test and now I can't reset by deleting the assignment submission as anticipated. It's now a lot more work to set things back to run the demo again...

karl0171
Community Member

I have recently been introduced to Canvas.  I am planning on going back to a paper grade book and paper assignments.  If I do not have the ability to move assignment submissions to a different folder / assignment area, it's not worth the effort.  For an instructor to  get the student to resubmit, when I can just move the assignment myself is foolish at best and a poor use of both my and my student's time.  

I followed the thread all the way to 2011.  By the lack to movement on this issue by Canvas, it is apparent the the answer is  "You Can't".  

Classroom management on computer is supposed to be an enhancement, not an impediment.

ttyrell
Community Novice

Please create this feature for admins!  We had created an assignment and then decided to unpublish it and create new assignments in its place.  The original assignment wasn't due for months....but of course 1 student out of 127 students had uploaded the wrong thing to that assignment and we could not longer "unpublish" it.

Admins should be able to delete an assignment and/or students should be able to delete an assignment if the due date hasn't passed.  Having only the ability to "re-submit" isn't as helpful as having both the "delete" and "re-submit" option.

Nonetheless, for an administrator of the system to not be able to delete a submission seems absurd as the information uploaded pertains to our institution and our data, it is not private data for Canvas. 

Please allow admins to delete submissions!!

rachel_page
Community Participant

Having to wait for students to resubmit tasks in the correct spot is time consuming and valuable learning time is lost.  We can still direct them to submit correctly for the next assignment.  I'd really like to see this feature.

ahammer1
Community Novice

My case is that students complete 10 weekly assignments and I drop the two lowest grades.  Since they have submitted the assignment and I  have graded it, there is no way to exempt them from the two lowest grades.  This functionality would be very helpful.

alannah_roach
Community Participant

I agree completely,  @rachel_page , and this is related to a similar feature idea of being able to submit on behalf of a student.  Feel free to like that one too!

hburgiel
Community Participant

Hi Ann!

Is there some reason you can't use rules in assignment groups to drop the lowest grades?  How do I create rules for an assignment group? 

Heidi

probinson1
Community Participant

To the answer the "why would I want to," because students frequently upload the wrong document to the wrong assignment. Additionally, Canvas is set up so that we are unable to delete or remove an assignment (as a whole) if a student has submitted (when they were told not to and did anyway because...well, who knows why?). Also cannot unpublish if someone has submitted to that space.

Lastly, it's MY course. If I want to delete something someone uploads that I feel is inappropriate content for my course (yes, I know they can resubmit), I want to delete it. As others have said, every other LMS with which I have worked has had this capability, why not Canvas?

binad
Community Member

As an Instructor, I need the ability to delete an incorrect student submission. This is a mess.