[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
jeremybrook
Community Novice

I used Blackboard prior to this semester and this useful feature existed because it allowed me to delete incorrect submissions.  Please add a function to CANVAS that would allow instructors to easily be able to delete an incorrect submission.  This causes less work than having to go in and reopen an assignment for each student that may have submitted an incorrect assignment.

lhardy
Community Novice

I vote YES. PLEASE

Linda Hardy, PhD, RN, CNE, CTN-A

Associate Professor of Nursing

MSN Program Director

Nebraska Wesleyan University

Burt Hall 313

Office: 402-465-2416; Cell: 402-480-8250

Omaha Site: 402-827-3555

"Everybody counts or nobody counts!" --Harry Bosch (Connelly, M., Harry Bosch novels).

(Vice President, Nebraska Nurses Association; PhD Nursing Education, University of Northern Colorado; CNE=Certified Nurse Educator-National League for Nursing; CTN-A=Certified Transcultural Nurse-Advanced-Transcultural Nursing Society)

naboznyk
Community Participant

I once had a student upload a 1 gigabyte .ZIP file by mistake. I really wanted to delete that because it was just wasting space unnecessarily. 

perkinsl
Community Novice

This needs to be fixed.

Steven_S
Community Champion

Perhaps an alternative to deleting a submission, would be archiving the submission.  That way all content is preserved but all indicators that a correct submission is still pending would be functional. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JACOBSEN_C ‌, the first arrow in your screenshot points to the net total of votes, which represents the overall score for the idea. The second arrow points to the separate totals for UP votes and DOWN votes, and subtracting the DOWNs from the UPs yields the score to which the first arrow is pointing.

Steven_S
Community Champion

In fact, I just found an idea that basically proposes that archiving: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15494-flag-an-assignment-in-speedgrader-when-the-wrong-file-wa... 

hardinm
Community Contributor

PLEASE! My kids are driving me insane! Also --  I want to be able to submit on behalf of a student

Steven_S
Community Champion

@hardinm  942 (and counting) others would also like to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student and you may want to add your support there as well.

ctsang
Community Explorer

Our institution uses a prerequisite system for some of our Modules, and the ability to delete an incorrect assignment is extremely needed in instances where students submit the wrong assignment. It will either lock them out of the prerequisite or sometimes give them more information than they should have if they submit assignments into the wrong prerequisite module. Please add this feature ASAP as it negatively impacts the student experience not having this feature.