cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

(19)
If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

94 Comments
gasstationwitho
Surveyor

Instructure does not lose business because of their inability to provide essential features—the people who choose Canvas for campuses are not the people who use it, so Instructure can completely ignore the users and just provide marketing material to the administrators.  This has been a problem with every LMS—the people who choose the system don't have to suffer as a result of a bad choice, so there is no incentive for the LMS developers to do anything right.

Adabhael
Surveyor

Delete submitted files, quizzes etc is essential. We recently moved from the antiquated BB, and I cannot believe there is no move and delete for student submissions in Canvas.

Interestingly, our Office of Legal Counsel just informed us students need the ability to delete their content and that we should be deleting student content from LMS at the end of the semester (may be archived elsewhere). They seemed surprised that we literally cannot do that on Canvas.

plaidradish
Surveyor

Agreed. All of the use cases I've read in this post are accurate, real-world scenarios that I have experienced, as well as one that I haven't seen here, which is instructor error. If an instructor's individual, verbal instruction to a student is mis-conveyed, causing a student to submit un-gradeable or faulty work as a result, the instructor needs the ability to give students a resubmission opportunity after the clarification is made.

In one of my classes, the instructors have assignments that prohibit multiple submissions and limit the student to only one submission. If there is any need whatever for a particular student to resubmit due to errors not made by that student, there is no recourse for instructors other than to delete the entire assignment and make the whole class resubmit. This is rather senseless, I believe.

rlmeyers
Surveyor

How is this not a feature yet on Canvas? Students submit assignments incorrectly all the time! With so many instructors over so many years sharing their interest in this feature, it should be a priority for Instructure.

kimhan
Surveyor

Yes please!  This is an essential feature!  If there was a button in the speed grader that you could press to remove (and the students could see that it was removed in their gradebook by saying "incorrect assignment submission" or something like that) that would be fantastic!

nvanalfen
Surveyor

So I'm assuming Canvas has just marked this feature as "Essential but we don't want to make it" because every other system has it, and every other system I've graded on, I've had to use it (We only allow 1 submission) but of course students will submit the wrong assignment from time to time. Why hasn't this been implemented yet? It's two weeks into the new semester and I've already needed to use it at least half a dozen times, but instead I have to just write in the comments "Correct file sent to me via email. Here's the score". But that doesn't work when I need to let Turnitin do a plagiarism check...

Is there a help center for Canvas where people can suggest changes be made? Or are we confined to this journal that Canvas has apparently only made for us users to write in that they don't feel needs to be checked?

tessaturnbull07
Surveyor

Students have submitted PDFs into the wrong assignment. I would like the ability to move their submitted PDF to the correct assignment without having to ask the child to do it again, possibly just repeating the same issue.

teacher

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

Followers of this thread might be interested in the new admin functionality in the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-12-02) - Canvas Community:

For admin roles, SpeedGrader displays a Delete button next to submission files. This change allows admins to manage inappropriate or submissions or submissions that otherwise need to be removed from a course.

burgerk
Surveyor II

This obviously necessary feature should have been implemented in the first place, but now 5 years after the original post, that it is still not implemented is indefensible. There is absolutely no good reason for not implementing this feature. I cannot tell you the number of times a student has submitted a solution file to the wrong assignment and how convenient it would be for ths instructor to handle this by a simple move operation. Come one Canvas, please support us instructors, don't make our jobs harder than they already are.

mirarocks
Surveyor

Still nothing? I used this feature regularly in Bb. When a student is taking a quiz and accidentally submits or their internet crashes before they're finished, I can't clear out their submission so they can start again. There is literally no way to allow them back in to take the quiz without changing the settings for all students to allow multiple submissions (which I don't want to do), watching closely to see when the individual student submits their second one while hoping no one else does, and then changing the settings back again. This is supremely frustrating and completely unnecessary.

I don't have any Delete option in Speedgrader.

prettey
Surveyor

6 years on, great idea needs to be implemented.

Im not sure how this new system works, before we were able to vote on idea to move forward but I can't seem to find a vote button, is it here somewhere and i am just missing it?

I would like to vote for this please

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@prettey Idea Conversations is where Canvas users can share their use cases and problem statements and engage with other users around a request. The forum uses a rating system, as described in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu...  —so click on the star rating modal to show your support. Comments that incorporate examples are especially welcome. Thanks!

prettey
Surveyor

Thanks Stefanie,

I always feel if UI has to be explained for things that should be obvious on the page then design has failed.

Referring to the 'Vote' button vs the less obvious rate, which has a different meaning, I thought it meant what people thought of the idea, like a giving stars to review a product not actually to 'like' it.

I would say, "Rate this idea" next to the stars would be a good start, nothing indicated to me on the page this was anything to do with a vote.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@prettey We agree with you! Our team is currently working on an overhaul of the Idea Conversations UI that should make the rating system more self-evident.