[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
cmc2392
Community Explorer

I need one reset button Medici extra credit Godfather button

cmc2392
Community Explorer

I worried about canvas detect plagiarism source mine

shirley_scarbro
Community Explorer

The main issue is not being able to unpublish an assignment once there has been a submission. 

I also encountered this scenario:

I was working in Student View and looking over upcoming items. After I finished I published them but then decided I would wait a bit longer to publish. I was not able to unpublish because the "Test Student" had submitted work. So I Reset Student and was still prevented from unpublishing because the "Test Student" had submitted.

KateChristie
Community Explorer

Students constantly upload the wrong file and need to resubmit. Please save my e-mail inbox and let me delete their submission.

JHaspel
Community Member

I'm finding it absurd that so many people are having to waste so much of their valuable time explaining why allowing instructors to remove student submissions should be implemented. For teachers, it's a no-brainer. This is the first semester I've used Canvas, and on the very first assignment, a student submitted the wrong draft. As many others have noted, this happens all the time. This student discovered he could upload the right draft in a "comment" but that doesn't help, especially since he needs to get a Turnitin report and a peer review. So here I am hours later trying to figure out how to delete the original paper so he can resubmit the right draft, only to find it's not possible, unless I want to allow all students more than one submission. 

And the idea of essential features only moving forward if they're voted up also seems absurd. Most instructors using Canvas don't even know there's a voting system.

theresa_jarvis
Community Explorer

@JHaspel  

Get ready for a lot of absurd.  

NinadeVries
Community Member

Please implement this, Canvas Team! Would be great.

Roberto_Reyes
Community Novice

Wow, more than 10 years and still no implementation of such a basic function, so disappointing! ☹️  I wonder if @Michael Black will ever see it happen (or maybe he's retired already 😅)

BenjaminSelby
Community Participant

Just had a staff member ask about this. Yes, please implement this ASAP guys. 

rvaidyan
Community Member

I am not sure whether Canvas folks even monitor these requests or are willfully ignoring requests for the most basic functionality in this awful software. A student submitted an assignment incorrectly in the wrong spot and I need to edit the submission dates for the assignment. Since a student has already submitted, it won't let me edit the due dates for other students.

I tired deleting the assignment, but when I tried to import it from another section, that failed too.

C'mon Canvas, how about some minimal level of customer service?