[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
MellieSal
Community Member

@LeisaRobson 

The ability for admin to have this level of control is a definite basic requirement for an LMS.  

liz_allen
Community Member

@LeisaRobson 

Agree. I come across this situation regularly. This function would be very helpful. 

CarlyeCostello
Community Member

I agree with the other comments - this is a request frequently received from students who have accidentally uploaded the wrong assessment file. The amount of behind the scenes admin to work around this is frustrating and simply being able to action this straightaway is most wanted. 

RichardSimcoe
Community Member

It is vital for teachers to be able to delete a student submission because there is a high percentage of students who upload the wrong submission. If teachers can't delete and allow students to resubmit, then their ability to grade using a rubric and auto score is blocked. Plagiarism checks are also blocked. It makes the entire speed grading redundant.

zwenneke
Community Explorer

I think I asked about two years ago for this option to delete submissions. Or, let teachers move the assignments. I could make a nonsense assignment with unlimited uploads for it. THen, all the arguments against deleting submissions are covered, but please, make my life easier and allow us to do something. 

I have to delete the assignments. Based on my design, it costs me 15 minutes to recreate the assignment. That cannot be true. It is so simple and nothing can go wrong, I really don't understand why the system is not willing the think with us, the users of the system.

dspiel
Community Participant

or if you can't delete a submission at least allow the ability to let just one student submit an extra attempt and not all students.

PBart0
Community Explorer

This is necessary when students upload to the wrong assignment, usually one due long ago, incurring in the process a huge grade penalty.

My kludgey fix is to reset that student's due date, but that leaves a false record, implying that I gave that student more time, 76 days more in one case, to finish the assignment.

Professors should have full control over such things. That is just a basic. 

Elkana
Community Explorer

Students submit to the wrong assignment slot frequently enough that this is definitely a feature our staff need!

WolseyHallSupp
Community Explorer

It is surprising how often students submit the wrong assignment, and this feature would be handy

a1063023
Community Explorer

I need the ability to "reject" or delete assignment submissions when they do not satisfy requirements of the assessment and the students need to resubmit. I cannot award a grade of zero to indicate this because we use moderated assessment and students wouldn't see the mark I award until too late.

Once again I'm disappointed that a discussion for a useful feature in Canvas has languished in the Ideas forum with hundreds of comments for many many years.