[Assignments] Move or Delete Incorrectly Submitted Assignments

If a student submits an assignment to say week 2 folder when it should have been submitted to week 3, currently there is no way to move that assignment to the correct location as the Teacher.  This core functionality exists in all other LCS.LMS and should be considered for inclusion in Canvas's core modules.

Brought over from the old Canvas Community

Submitted by: Michael Black

Date: 6/3/2011

Votes: 112

292 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

You could certainly re-create a similar Feature Idea so that it has a chance to be voted on again in an up-coming voting period.  Maybe you can rally people together to get enough votes for a new idea.  This one only missed the mark by 21 votes.  See the links I posted above in early November.

amanda_liana_mc
Community Novice
Hello!

A situation recently came up in class where we wanted to remove a submission that a student uploaded to an assignment. We were told by support that "the only way to do that is to remove the assignment completely from the course," which isn't the most convenient thing (because then we delete other submissions by other students).

It would be useful to have an option for faculty and TAs to delete submissions for individual students.

Thank you!

kona
Community Champion

@amanda_liana_mc ​, I did a quick search and found these feature ideas that seemed similar to what you were wanting - & . Both of these ideas have been archived, one for a low number of votes and the other got a response from Canvas. You might want to check out these ideas, add your feedback and follow them so you'll be alerted to any updates.

kroeninm
Community Champion

@amanda_liana_mc ​, why would you want to remove a submission when the student can resubmit the assignment?  Just curious.  Maybe incorrect submissions of some kind? 

- Melanie

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Melanie:

I tend to agree with you on this one, which is perhaps why the previous attempts at this feature failed from low votes.

However, I would like to see more use-case scenarios before I completely make up my face (my mind is shot to heck). There may be scenarios where this could be useful, although I have been teaching in Canvas for almost four years and have not encountered one yet.

KLM

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I constantly get students who inadvertently the wrong assignment to the wrong assignment slot.  Yes, the students can upload the correct assignment and so it will show up there with multiple submissions.  The problem is that one of the submissions is completely wrong and does not belong there at all.

Additionally, sometimes I get the feeling students do this "accidentally" to get around pre-requisites that we've set up.  I would love to be able to delete their submission so that the pre-requisite reverted back to not being fulfilled. 

corey_jeffers
Community Novice

I wish I would have known about this to be able to vote on it. This is a "must-have" feature. At least being able to "return" it or have a different icon to show that it was submitted, but incorrectly...

amanda_zenker
Community Novice

I agree!  Otherwise it is somewhat of a logistical nightmare for teachers to remember which assignments have been turned in, but aren't really ready for grading (due to being incomplete, incorrect, etc).

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Mark:

Great use-case scenario!

See, this is what I was looking for, and your scenario makes sense to me. I seldom use pre-requisites in my own courses, but if I did I would hate to have them circumvented by a student uploading their shopping list or some such thing.

Thanks Mark!

KLM