[New Quizzes] Move the Update Scores button for quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please move the update scores button on quizzes to the top of the page, or put it at the top and the bottom of the page.  It's annoying to have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the quiz to update.

Added to Theme

11 Comments
kona
Community Champion

@elizabetha_mosl ‌, you're in luck! https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-8251-quizwiz-enhancements-to-speedgrader-and-quizzes?sr=sea...‌ will already do what you're asking and is free! I've got it installed and I have the Final score, fudge points, and update score button at the top of the page in Speedgrader! It's a huge help and saves me a lot of time!

tsawicki
Community Novice

I suggested this before myself, especially to help with the "Q" and now "zap symbol" bug which still exists when you make changes to quizzes (usually just to print it) but don't change the questions.  I'm not sure about experimenting with an add on, perhaps Kona Jones should be hired by canvas to make this fix.

kona
Community Champion

It was actually developed by  @James ‌ and he hopes it becomes obsolete and that Canvas adds the functionality directly to Speedgrader. 

obsatz_sharyn
Community Novice

I agree that it should be both at the top and the bottom and professors can pick which to click. I just reopened the mid-term for 2 students who had a major emergency. By extending the deadline for them, it was considered a modified quiz, and I had to resubmit the scores for 51 other students. What a pain to scroll down through a 70-question exam form for 50+ students to resubmit all those grades. 

I'm not sure what our college's policy on using plug-in enhancements on our work computers for Canvas. I'll ask.

kona
Community Champion

It's considered a browser extension and at least at our school faculty were able to install it themselves (normally they can't install any type of software or anything on their computers). If not, it's definitely worth installing on your personal device!

parke_wilde
Community Novice

I feel the issue goes beyond mere placement of the Update button. In SpeedGrader, it is possible to go through several questions and then hit update button once per student. However, if you use grade by question forward arrow to go to the next student, you are at risk of losing your work. I just lost 90 minutes of grading time trying to grade by question by mistakenly assuming that going to the next student was like going to the next question.

cdollar
Community Explorer

I am not certain why Canvas cannot just autosave a score once it has been typed into the SpeedGrader. Canvas does autosave other typed scores, for example, when you add a score directly to the grade book.

A floating Update Score button that follows you would be better than just one at the top or bottom.

wallacema
Community Member

Yes, PLEASE.  It's amazing how much time this very small change would save.

C045AF98-1B7C-474F-9E42-3E15D130FADB_1_201_a.jpeg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-04-15)