Moving/Copying Multiple Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This request was archived (Question Banks: Move AND Copy Multiple Questions ). I am submitting it again with some additional information (visuals). We can currently move/copy questions from one question bank to another one at a time, and in the window that pops up you have the option to check "Keep a copy in this question bank as well" so that it doesn't just move the question to the other question bank, but copies it. In the question bank on the right, there is a button that says "Move Multiple Questions" and the window that pops up is titled "Move/Copy Questions" but there is no way that I can see to actually copy the selected questions. There is no checkbox that says "Keep a copy in this question bank as well" in this window so the questions end up being added to the destination question bank and deleted from the current question bank.

Individual Question Option

204296_2016-09-22_0813.png2016-09-22_0813.png

Multiple Question Option

204297_2016-09-22_0814.png2016-09-22_0814.png

Note: Add keep questions in this bank as well in multiple moving option.

Copying questions one by one can become very tedious, so if there were a way for instructors to copy multiple questions to another question bank, that would be very helpful.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
23 Comments
siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

I wonder how many times suggestions closely related to this have not been found because of things like typos ("coping multiple questions").   

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Susan,

Thankfully we can teach Jive's search engine to associate search results with other terms.  This has been particularly helpful as the Canvas user community had become more international (thing analog vs analogue).  I wrote a blog post about this and shared a link to a spreadsheet where people can contribute pairs of search terms to be linked.  I hadn't thought about common typos.  If you have other common misspellings that you think of, please consider adding them to the list.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Good ideas like this never die until they see the light of day!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
val_peterson
Community Novice

Just got off with chat and was told you cannot copy more than one question at a time, you cannot copy question banks, you cannot merge question banks, you cannot select more than one question bank per question group.  Please explain how to make a Final exam based on totally random questions from module quizzes & question banks. 

This method of question groups & question banks has too many limitations, is too tedious, too time consuming, too frustrating.

Please help with a real solution.  Class begins in a week.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@val_peterson , to be clear, you are trying to create a final exam with one question group and in this question group you would have all the questions from your previous exams (whose questions are in question banks)?

If this is correct, then the way I would do this is to create the question group - don't link it to a question bank. Then click on "Find Questions" and pick one of your question banks, click the select all (to select all the questions in that bank), scroll down and pick the question group you just created, then click the "Add selected questions." Repeat this for every question bank you want added to this question group. And yes this works, because I use the same process myself!

Hope this helps! Kona

nwilson7
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney , I am not seeing this in New Quizzes anywhere nor any of the documentation.  In fact, I don't see any option to even move multiple questions.  Canvas chat did not seem to be aware of a way either.  Am I missing something?

lph
Community Champion

Hi

I agree. The only option available appears to be a move of one question at a time. Even the documentation shows one item at a time.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15050-4152780617 

AbbieMia
Community Member

This is needed in New Quizzes.

Classic Quizzes catergorized quesitons as unfiled then allowed for moving of multiple questions into a question bank.

This same feature is needed in New Quizzes

DMadden
Community Member

I'm not sure why the status is Completed and says "This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas" because the feature in question is still not available (see image below).

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.19.51 AM.png