[Calendar] Multi Day Events

It is a very normal function of calendaring to be able to add events that span multiple days. Please add the ability to have mulit day events in canvas. Instead of just having a start and end time give the ability to also define an end date.

86032_Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 11.34.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-08 at 11.34.57 AM.png

Added to Theme

31 Comments
steven_williams
Community Explorer

This appears to be related to the  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9377 idea from a few years ago. Several students and parents have complained to me that only showing the due date for an assignment (as it is right now) is not helpful for students trying to manage their workload.

For example, an large project that is available for a week or two only shows up on the calendar on the last day. If, instead, the calendar would show each assignment as an event spanning from the Available From date to the Due At date (or Available Until -- there may be some confusion because of the weird way Canvas has implemented these attributes), the students (and parents supervising them) would have a much better view of what needs to be completed and when, or estimate visually how much time each day they should allocate to a given (potentially long-term) assignment.

I'm not sure that what I described here is exactly what  @kraines  or mikescheid were thinking of, but hopefully it's similar.

cbobb
Community Novice

I don't know about anyone else but this is EXACTLY what I and many other teachers NEED! Everything is moving to projects that take multiple days. Students need to see that each day they can work on it! And maybe the actual due date is a different color or has DUE on it or something.

We have been able to create events to span multiple days and add the assignment to that, but that is time consuming and cumbersome to complete for each project and if things change. It would be much easier if it just popped on their calendar some how.

tjkolev
Community Novice

Greetings,

Let's consider the case where a homework is assigned on Tuesday, and is due Friday. A calendar entry will be created on Friday, on the due date. However, if it were possible to create a calendar entry that spanned all days from Tuesday until Friday, it would provide better visibility into the time period during which the assignment can be worked on. With multiple such assignments, it will make it easier looking at the calendar to plan on which day what needs to be done. It is not uncommon for different classes to have assignments due on Friday. The week looks severely back-loaded. If someone is working on a day-to-day basis, on Thursday they'll find themselves with a lot of work to complete for Friday. Calendar entries spanning multiple days will encourage more up-front planning, and even distribution of workload.

Regards,

TJ Kolev 🙂

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

danboisvert
Community Member

Really, really, really need this feature, especially for classes that are meeting asynchronously. Many more students are simply using their calendar as their "To Do" list, but if their asynchronous discussion is supposed to run from, say, Mon-Wed, the calendar is only showing the discussion as due on Wednesday. 

Thank you!

CD6
Community Member

My students are struggling with time management, and this would be a huge benefit.  They have no idea when assignments were assigned, only when they are due.  Simply showing the assignment on the "available from" date when I create it, and then another entry on the due date if it's different would be hugely beneficial to students.  Particularly those who missed class, they can just look at the calendar for the assignment that day instead of digging through the module and trying to decipher codes/numbers.

HannaHollamby
Community Member

Events should have the option to be multiple days long but only one event. This the only that teachers who have a blueprint and are on a block schedule can even utilize the calendar. If a test is scheduled for Monday/Tuesday because you are on a block schedule, students will have two test dates on their to-do list. similarly for all assessments and homework. Everything will show up twice because it has to be scheduled for both days separately, If it was just one event it would only show up once on the to-do list.

bec_34
Community Member

Hi, we also would like to be able to highlight multi-day events such as "reading week" or projects that run for a fortnight. 

If we could have an additional date picker so that we choose a 'from' and 'to' date that would be great.

Currently events can sometimes be expanded over multiple days by dragging the edge, but Canvas have explained this isn't a feature and I'd like this to be more reliable.

Cheri_Hamilton
Community Explorer

THis is one of the best  and most useful ideas I have seen. I see that this idea is older. DOes anyone know if any updates have been made?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme