cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Answer quiz question - partial points without penalty

Multiple Answer quiz question - partial points without penalty

(1)
Currently the way partial points in a multiple answer quiz question works is to dock points for incorrect answers.  This is necessary, otherwise one could just select every choice and get full points.

But some faculty would like to give points for each correct answer without penalizing for incorrect choices.  This could be done if the number of choices became limited to the total number of correct answers.

So this feature idea is to add an option to the multiple answer question type that would limit the number of possible choices  a student could select to the total number of correct answers and allow for full partial points without subtracting points for an incorrect guess.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

34 Comments
Community Member

This makes sense. I think this would be a good idea, and it would resolve this issue!

Monica Bunai

English/Journalism Teacher

Long Reach High School

410-313-7117

Long Reach Online Newspaper: LRHSLightningFlash.com<http://lrhslightningflash.com/>

Get news in a FLASH!

Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This feature is now on Canvas Beta. For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This feature has been developed and deployed to Canvas. For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18) 

mlewis23@ewu.edu Thank You for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who commented and voted. Your investment helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

Surveyor II

I don't think that the original idea was translated in this new release (in 2020). Why?

As a teacher, I want to create multiple answer questions, where two out of five answers are correct and both correct choices account for one point (so each questions is worth 2 points in total). Nevertheless, if a student chooses one correct answer and one wrong answer, the total points this student should receive is one – exactly what has been requested also in the original thread ("No penalty with full partial credit"). If I understand the new functionality correctly, neither “partial credit with penalty” nor “exact match” make this way of counting possible.

An additional feature would be to be able to  assign “- 0,25” points for a wrong answer, but that is optional. No penalty with full partial credit would be totally sufficient. If the new release is really the answer to this, can you explain me how?

Thank you and best regards

Maria