Multiple Answer quiz question - partial points without penalty

Currently the way partial points in a multiple answer quiz question works is to dock points for incorrect answers.  This is necessary, otherwise one could just select every choice and get full points.

But some faculty would like to give points for each correct answer without penalizing for incorrect choices.  This could be done if the number of choices became limited to the total number of correct answers.

So this feature idea is to add an option to the multiple answer question type that would limit the number of possible choices  a student could select to the total number of correct answers and allow for full partial points without subtracting points for an incorrect guess.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For details, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18)

40 Comments
monica_coleman
Community Novice

This makes sense. I think this would be a good idea, and it would resolve this issue!

Monica Bunai

English/Journalism Teacher

Long Reach High School

410-313-7117

Long Reach Online Newspaper: LRHSLightningFlash.com<http://lrhslightningflash.com/>

Get news in a FLASH!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

This feature is now on Canvas Beta. For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18579-canvas-release-notes-2020-04-18 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

This feature has been developed and deployed to Canvas. For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-04-18) 

@mlewis23  Thank You for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who commented and voted. Your investment helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

MBlarr
Community Member

I don't think that the original idea was translated in this new release (in 2020). Why?

As a teacher, I want to create multiple answer questions, where two out of five answers are correct and both correct choices account for one point (so each questions is worth 2 points in total). Nevertheless, if a student chooses one correct answer and one wrong answer, the total points this student should receive is one – exactly what has been requested also in the original thread ("No penalty with full partial credit"). If I understand the new functionality correctly, neither “partial credit with penalty” nor “exact match” make this way of counting possible.

An additional feature would be to be able to  assign “- 0,25” points for a wrong answer, but that is optional. No penalty with full partial credit would be totally sufficient. If the new release is really the answer to this, can you explain me how?

Thank you and best regards

Maria

pdk4
Community Member

I would like to see a additional grading option for each Multiple Answer question in which the penalty credit deducted for each incorrect answer chosen = the total question credit ÷ the number of INCORRECT answers (rather than the more standard number of correct answers).  This is especially important in questions where the number of incorrect answer choices exceeds the number of correct ones.  This way a student won't get zero credit for choosing some incorrect answers along with correct ones.  But by choosing all answers just to try to beat the question, the score would still end up being zero.  This option should be programmable in the same way as the existing algorithm for penalty point deduction based on number of correct answers.  It should offer considerably enhanced flexibility in the grading of such questions.

Another option would be to enable the quiz creator to specify individual additions or deductions in points or % for each answer choice.  This would require additional algorithm creation and programming.  But it is certainly feasible because Blackboard offers it in their options for grading Multiple Answer questions.

These options would help reduce students' confusion and dissatisfaction with the grading of such questions.  My colleagues also support these ideas.  Thank-you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@pdk4 Since the idea to which you've posted this comment has been completed, please write your comment as two new separate requests for enhancements to the multiple answer question type after reading through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? 

jmillner1
Community Explorer

From what I can tell and in assigning these types of questions this year, the issue has not been addressed. Am I missing the option for partial credit to actually assign partial credit WITHOUT penalty for a wrong answer? With our new state standardized tests, these questions are great practice. However, if I cannot assign the correct point value then why use it? 

pdk4
Community Member

The problem with simple 1/n scoring for Multiple Answer questions is that if there are more incorrect answers than correct ones, the deductions for incorrect answer choices overwhelm any credit given for correct answer choices so it easy to get a score of zero even though correct answers have been selected. I suggest the option of giving credit for correct answers on the basis of 1/n_correct while deducting credit for incorrect answers on the basis of 1/n_incorrect if the number of incorrect answers exceeds the number of correct answers. This way a student gets zero for trying to game the question by selecting ALL the answers but gets due credit for correct answers while still being only partially penalized for incorrect answers. As I said, this should be available as an OPTION should users wish to utilize it. The other option of no deductions for incorrect answers can still be another option for users to select. The 1/n_incorrect as described here should be given high priority in new development!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed