Multiple Attempts Per Quiz Question ANDOR unique point values

0 Likes
(4)

I posted in the New Quizzes for voting, but putting this here too. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/New-Quizzes-Users/Multiple-Attempts-Per-Quiz-Question-AND-OR-uniq... 

I am an instructional designer assisting with multiple medical education courses that need to have a quiz/assessment show question at a time (got that), but it needs multiple attempts per question (don't have that, only multiple attempts per entire quiz). 

For example, on a multiple choice question, with four possible answers, a student choose one answer, but they didn't get it right. They should be able to have limited or unlimited attempts to answer that question BEFORE being able to move on to the next question. 

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ellen_peters
Community Participant

With multiple attempts per question, I would also like to have the option to set points for each attempt. For example: answer correct in first attempt, student gets 3 points. Answer correct in second attempt, student get 2 points, etc.

wkylephillips
Community Participant

Multiple attempts is a wonderful accommodation teachers can provide to allow students the opportunity to reach the mastery level. However, retaking the entire quiz seems a bit much, especially if they only missed one question. It would be terrific if the teacher allowed multiple attempts per question. This way, as the students are working through the assignment, if they get number 5 incorrect, they can try number 5 again (bonus points if we could include a point deduction or select for there to be no point deduction) rather than wait and finish all questions then have to retake the entire assignment again to get the perfect score. The second attempt on number 5 also doesn't have to be the same question. If the quiz is pulling from a bank, the quiz engine could pull another question altogether. I think this would greatly incentivize students to take advantage of the multiple attempts, rather than settling for the 90 to avoid have to retake the entire assessment/assignment. 

DouglasHanna
Community Member

As an ID I have a teacher that would like to do want she did in Moodle:  Have the option to create a question that allows multiple tries with the same question.  Example:  Student answers a Fill in the Blank question with a computer code, but that code is a bit off.  Student won't get 100% of the points, but is allowed a 2nd Try and given a Hint.  Student answers correctly and gets 80% of the points or incorrectly and receives 0%, but is provided with the correct answer.

Moodle Multiple Tries with Hints.png

Above is what she wants Canvas to have that Moodle does.  Sorry about the small image size.

Community Participant

I really love this idea!!! In my dream world, students could read content in stimulus pane, then get 1-4 or so questions to go with it in the right pane (this is already possible, good job!) Then students can answer questions. If they are correct, they get full points and some generic feedback. If they are incorrect, they get feedback and get to try again for fewer points ON THAT SINGLE QUESTION.

This seems ideal to me for teaching with a quiz. Students read, test their comprehension, get immediate feedback and a chance to recover from a failure. The quiz acts as a mentor and learning coach to help students learn and improve. Currently the quiz acts as the student's judge and executioner if they get a question wrong.

Retaking a whole quiz is a poor substitute for this functionality. Retaking a whole quiz to get mentoring on a single question is way overkill and violates the principle of immediacy. Feedback should be JIT, students are unlikely to retake a quiz just to get a little feedback in one area.

PLEASE add this feature!!!

CemCanel
Community Novice

Giving a second attempt to get the correct answer before submitting the exam at the end. I want to give the students a second chance to get the correct answer after they select the answer to a question before they go to the next question.

wangyu
Community Member

Will a student know if the answer is correct or wrong on the first attempt?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.