[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

444 Comments
alexander_pho
Community Novice

Hi All,

Likewise this would really help with increasing participation/engagement in a thread in my opinion. One other feature that may be helpful--at least for us--would be the option of having the first checkpoint due date for one subset of the class, and then another checkpoint(s) for another subset of the class.

I'll give you some context and an example: 

In many courses we have two group sets titled: Study Groups and Teams. Within the Teams group set are many groups, let's say 20 groups total, each consisting of 5 students that collaborate together (this gives us 100 students in total). Each Team group is labelled and assigned to a TA that is responsible for managing their respective groups. The Study Groups group set is composed of 4 larger overarching groups where the 20 groups are divided into based on the TA. Thus, within the Study Groups group set are 4 groups, and each group contains 25 students all from various teams that are assigned to the same TA.

Now we have a graded discussion that has a two components to it. The first component requires that a team reporter or lead posts the team's findings on behalf of their team in a group discussion that is assigned to a Study Group group, so that the other teams are able to see the post. The next component requires the other teams to post a reply and offer feedback to each reported finding. 

It would be helpful to have the first portion/checkpoint of the assignment assigned to the team reporters, and then have the second checkpoint of the assignment assigned to the other groups.

We currently are using one thread for the team reporters' posts and then another group discussion thread for the larger study groups, but this requires that the team reporters post a second time in the larger study group group discussion threads for the other teams to access. In addition, there isn't a due date or To-do item that reminds or informs the team reporters to post a second time in the larger study group discussion thread.

Hope this makes sense!

Alex

ematthew
Community Novice

Perhaps the student would see two due dates (side-by-side, or stacked) in the Modules screen and both due dates would populate their "To-do" list.

lcroney
Community Novice

I find it outrageous that this doesn't yet exist. It's such a no-brainer how badly it's needed. And it has been requested over and over, though the request threads seem to disappear. I know I requested it when my university moved from Blackboard to Canvas more than five years ago. All kinds of extra bells and whistles and garbage get added every year, but not this very basic and fundamental tool for increasing and rewarding participation in discussions. It's almost as though there is a prejudice against anything but right and wrong answers in Canvas, as though discussions are not necessary. It's so frustrating to be facing this lack again. These companies like Canvas make all kinds of promises that they just don't keep.

lindsapj
Community Novice

Lisa,

Vociferously agree on all points. Have read dozens of supportive emails on this topic. Don't know why this can't get done.

Patrick Lindsay

Sent from my iPad

garth
Community Champion

lcroney‌ I can't agree with you completely, as I have seen Canvas address the needs of the Community.

Updates are prioritzed based on needs of their customers, as well as ideas that are posted in the Community.

It's a balance.  I believe they do their best to determine which updates bring the greatest value to the platform.

This idea does say it's on the product radar, so they are looking at it.

lcroney
Community Novice

I don't want or have time to argue, but you speak as a representative of the Canvas through your corporation that sells the Canvas platform to schools, not as a teaching faculty member, and I think that makes a huge difference in your sense of responsiveness and timing. I am sure there are overwhelming demands and that they have a difficult task in prioritizing them. But this should be a relatively simple thing, according to my brother the programmer, and according to other platforms that have had such a feature for more than a decade.

Lisa Roney

lindsapj
Community Novice

I am a full time faculty member at a major university b school that has been asking for this for two years.

Patrick Lindsay

Sent from my iPhone

dhulsey
Community Champion

Garth works for a university. I work for a community college. Neither of us work for Canvas.

Anyway, I would like this feature as well, but there are some reasonable workarounds. One of the easiest is to make the due date in canvas when the last post is due in and tell your students each post you require must have a minimum of 24 hours elapsed time between each post. Glancing at time stamps in speedgrader is no big deal. I hope that helps, lcroney

boles
Community Participant

Full support for all these comments. Canvas: get it done!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I've done it the other way with setting the due date for the initial post. That approach seemed to work well enough.  And if I really wanted to I could create a 0-point, no submission assignment so a reminder shows on the list.   That of course clutters things up a bit but it sure is doable should someone need it now.   Hic est...

247242_Capture2.JPG247241_Capture.JPG