[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
dhulsey
Community Champion

That is actually the way I do it too, Jeff. I only offered the time lapse option because my adjuncts seem to like that one better. Either works fine, and my students seem to function fine as long as I tell them what the rules are. Still, a built in option in assignment creation would make things smoother as many have noted here. 

langlangcat
Community Contributor

Just wondering do we have any progress on this yet?  My faculty always complain about the late initial posts of their students and of course no time for follow-up replies. 

alexander_pho
Community Novice

For us, at least for some of our Professional programs that are entirely online, this really helps to facilitate due dates and would make tracking submissions a lot simpler--especially for courses with up to 100+ participants.

boles
Community Participant

Me too.  0-point, no submission, not graded assignment.  Too much clutter and too much work creating all the settings.  This needs to be done.  It's basic.  

boles
Community Participant

@ Garth Egbert: Probably true, they will consider the suggestion.  But the bigger and louder the movement, the sooner it'll get done.  : - )

npacheco
Community Novice

Normally I would not mind if most professors understand the workings of how set up a discussion with different due dates efficiently, but most of my professors assign multiple due dates yet only establish one in canvas. It's usually the one that includes the replies. However, at the very least, the due dates should reflect the initial post and then extend the availability of the discussion a few days beyond the due date in Canvas for the replies. I had an excellent professor send out announcements and reminders for every initial post due date even if this wasn't clear in Canvas. I am diligent about setting my own reminders but most students being so new to Canvas, they may not have the knowledge or experience to do so. I do hope to see some workaround that makes it better for both professors and students. 

hensonj
Community Novice

Wondering the same thing. Its been 2+ years.

gmm193
Community Member

This is apparently low on the priority list it seems for Canvas but this functionality is ESSENTIAL for Penn State and particularly for World Campus. All best practice courses offered through WC for online teaching suggest creating more community in this way for students (i.e. initial and follow up posts with ansynchronous due dates). Work arounds are exactly what they are -- temporary bandaids for something requiring a more permanent fix.

BEst,

- Glenna

lindsapj
Community Novice

Baffles me how they do not see the importance of this.

Oh, when there is a lack of competitive pressure...

Patrick Lindsay

Sent from my iPhone

boles
Community Participant

Agreed!   WHEN>?????