[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
khuntsman
Community Novice

However, if you are grading on both the initial post and the replies, how does that work???

khuntsman
Community Novice

Is there any way someone could update us on where this is going?  It seems like a REALLY BIG DEAL.   I have just read through all the posts on this and the workarounds, but I am confused...how do people address the grading aspect in their workarounds?  We have an initial post due Wednesday and two replies due by Sunday.  Currently we grade them all together using a rubric, but would like to grade the IP separately.  Ideas?

jhornbuckle
Community Novice

I'm just adding my voice to the others who are asking for this functionality. This method of handling discussion board assignments--i.e., requiring multiple posts to a single board with varying due dates--is quite common. The functionality should be built into the product.

abo_1
Community Novice

My understanding (based on the response to my comment back in 2016) is that the function will be added, but that it takes time.  I could really use this function since I teach a number of online classes and having the students do their initial post by one deadline and respond to others by another deadline would really improve the course.  I'm looking to see if there is any update as to the timeline for adding this functionality?  I'm designing a new course, and would really like to have the discussions implemented more efficiently.  Thank you for any updates!

jmynhier
Community Novice

I'm new to the Canvas Community and am very surprised that this idea was proposed in 2015 and everyone is still waitingHaving the ability to set multiple due dates, with separate grades, within a discussion seems like a no-brainer. This is an absolutely essential function that Canvas should have. I agree, if there are plans to add this feature, it would be great to know the timeline.

boles
Community Participant

Thank you for joining the crowd on this! Hopefully we're getting some traction.

- Elson

lindsapj
Community Novice

I initiated this. Nothing resembling traction in the past two plus years.

Frustrating.

Patrick Lindsay

Farmer School of Business

Department of Marketing Faculty

First Year Integrated Core Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: 3071 FSB, Oxford, OH 45056

Ph. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan Rockford

Peaches from A League of Their Own.

djovanovic
Community Novice

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:

Hello everyone interested,
Please be advised that, according to Canvas support suggestion, a NEW REQUEST for this feature has been initiated at:
https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/11336-multiple-due-dates-for-discussions 

So, please go there and vote for the development of this feature. 
We will need much more votes than in the previous attempt (this voting here). So let your colleagues, who might use this feature, know about the vote.
Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For clarification, this idea (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions ) is currently open for voting, and is in Product Radar status at this writing, so please continue to add your feedback and votes here. Ideas that are open and on Radar do not need to be resubmitted as new.

hensonj
Community Novice

It's hard when there are a number of Ideas that have been highly voted up and have been around (on radar) like this one for  nearly 3 years. Ideas used to be really helpful since they were submitted, voted on and implemented. Now, even simple changes, that have tons of votes are left to languish for years. When I saw a notification that you had commented on this idea, I genuinely hoped that I would be able to hear that there has been a fix and it would be implemented with the next update, allowing me to post 100 copies of the clapping hands emoji (   ) but alas, no more movement, so I can only post 5 of these: