[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
hensonj
Community Novice

Agreed. While the original scope focused on discussions, I believe this would be useful for many assignments.

anthonem
Community Contributor

Exactly what I was thinking when I proposed https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1263-student-journal-or-blog-feature" modifiedtitle="true" tit.... Nowadays I don't think we really need a new tool in Canvas...multiple checkpoints on one assignment/discussion would accomplish a blog/journal feedback workflow throughout the term really well.

creativityengag
Community Novice

Students often misunderstand what Canvas is telling them about discussions. When I set up assignments to have the first post be the post date (because of limitations of the current system) they think they are being given 24 hours to complete an assignment, when that isn't that case. We really, really need these multiple due dates, including a system for reminders that can go out during the course of an open discussion.

bogardde
Community Participant

Kelley, just to poke the bear a bit (because we both like to do this, lol):

First of all, I can only speak for those of us who live in the K12 world, although I would like to think that this would apply to the blended classroom at higher ed as well.

I would argue that improving the teacher's workflow also contains the potential to vastly improve student learning. By improving teachers' Canvas tools in ways that allows them to gain back some precious class time, this newly freed-up time can be used for what we know gives our students the biggest bang for our teaching-and-learning buck: 1:1 and small group conversations, lessons and projects.

Thus, I would propose a variation to your list:

1. Teaching & Learning workflow
  2. Admin workflow
  3. Nifty fun stuff

I will now put away my bear-poking stick 🙂

KChatfield
Community Member

Along with the checkpoint due dates (awesome idea), it would also be terrific if we could control Module Requirements for a minimum number of posts per person before the green checkmark displays. Now, if the requirement for a discussion is to "submit" or "contribute to," the green checkmark shows up after a single post. If a post plus replies are required, that green checkmark sometimes convinces a student that they are done (if they are using the checkmarks for the check-off list of things to do). In the same way that a quiz can be prevented from getting a green checkmark until a certain score is achieved, it would be AMAZING if discussions could have a minimum count of posts by students. THANKS!!

jennifer_paris
Community Novice

Yes! My students are struggling this semester because the To Do list doesn’t match what they need to do (not having accurate representation of multiple due dates and it being marked as completed with just their post).

abigailb_dietly
Community Novice

Thank you for this idea! So simple, but would be really helpful. As a student who has taken many classes where discussions have 2 due dates, I always had to go outside of Canvas to set multiple reminders for myself to go back and respond in a discussion. This was okay for me because I am very organized, but many students are not going to remember this along with all of their other assignments and due dates.

stephenallen
Community Novice

I agree that this would be a valuable tool not only to potentially increase participation, but to give me, as the instructor, a tool for more easily monitoring student engagement. Bravo Chris for bringing this to the forefront.

soucy
Community Novice

This is just what we have been looking for.  We have discussions which open on Monday at 12:01 AM and require students to make an initial post by Wednesday, another post by Saturday and a final reply to another student by Wednesday.  Having multiple due dates will make these graded assignments easier to grade.  MDS

tamychapman
Community Contributor

You can put the Thursday date in the calendar manually. I do that, but I too would like Canvas to allow multiple due dates for discussions.Thanks for suggesting it.