[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
ddouglas
Community Explorer

It doesn't appear that this idea went any further than an idea.    I see this as a great idea.  We were just discussing discussion boards this morning in a hallway chat and I remembered that I had wanted to suggest this very idea.   Would love to see discussion boards with the ability to have two due dates.  One for an initial post and another for follow up replies.

alexandra_mulli
Community Novice

We also would really love to be able to 'reset' the "users must post before seeing replies"

We are interesting in having 'unfolding case discussions'. So case and questions. Students reply by X due date and then board is open for replies till X date (as you've proposed above)

Then we release part 2 and students can then not see each others' new answers until they answer again. Does that make sense? A board reset as such without using a separate board.

alexandra_mulli
Community Novice

Oh also - am in favour of this idea as long as we can have multiple due AND until dates...

We let students reply up tp 5 days late, receiving a late penalty

wdover
Community Member

Hey Canvas people! This is still needed.  What can we do to get it on the list?

tuk03990
Community Novice

This would be great

lprice
Community Novice

I completely agree that this is a much needed feature at out institution. I am mainly commenting to track the thread. 

heather_stockfo
Community Contributor

Is this still up for vote 3 years later?

Can anyone provide any further info on this suggestion?

I know its a need on our campus for discussions and faculty ask about it all the time here as well.... but 3 years?

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I elected to suggest students set calendar reminders on one of their 3-4 devices.  

develand
Community Member

One of the ways we attempt to address this is by having discussion open for a very limited amount of time. So essentially we publicize and document and inform students that the discussion forum will be open for no more than 48 hours exactly. Help improve students capacity to do this we have a practice session initially, giving students a chance to understand the 48 hour window. Well I know this doesn't work for every case it has helped improve the amount and depth conversation and the synergy in a discussion even though it's still asynchronous, the compressed nature gives it a sort of priority. Just an idea.

rowlandj
Community Novice

I'm from an institution that is considering Canvas as our new LMS, and I've taught previously on Canvas at another institution this would be perfect for my online speech courses. Since as it stands now, it is dealing with many of the problems described here, what actions can we take to get our students to realize there is the initial reply due date, prior to the final forum closing due date. 

This term in Blackboard (our current LMS), I did the calendar and tasks, trying to remind students that they needed to post prior to the due date listed on auto-generated schedule. This is in addition to including the due dates in a printed class schedule. Part of the class would include a discussion board post on each chapter. (Fairly typical I would say). I know personally, I am already sold on Canvas, but this would be the Cherry on top that would make life even better. Rather than the route of having to create additional assignments that might not be displayed on gradebook, and would either have to be manually checked off, or show up until after the due date has passed. It's almost where its surprising giving how most online discussions work, that it hasn't been implemented sooner. (Since other solutions of shifting the due dates around, are just messy! setting a due date for graded discussions for the initial post due date, then moving it, or letting the replies 'be late' rather than the initial post.)

I hope it works it way up there for the next review, and by the time my current institution finishes adoption, or soon into the adoption of Canvas (my hope), having it go live and active. (I know I still miss having the adaptive due dates for an assignment, with having gone back to Blackboard, and was dancing in the streets, when those were added during my tenure at my previous institution)