[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

444 Comments
edwardn1
Community Participant

YES!  My students have to post twice - The only way I get around it, because they get so confused (they are students, after all)  - is to put it on the calendar.  Lately I also put the "first post" date in the name of the Discussion - "Discussion Chapter 12 - First post due ......".

boles
Community Participant

Yes, that's similar my current, albeit clumsy, work-around. Problem with creating it in the Calendar is that it won't show in the module (if you're using modules). So I do this:

1. Create a Discussion and title it "Make First Post: Getting Started Discussion"

- produces a due-date in the module, calendar, and Coming Up and To Do lists.

2. Create a non-Graded assignment and title it "Make Second Post: Getting Started Discussion"

- also produces a due-date in the module, calendar, and Coming Up and To Do lists.

- add to it this note: "Return to 'Make First Post' and make your second post there."

- some people put a link to the first post, but I believe that when one imports to a new semester, the link won't work and would have to be updated each time. This method avoids that.

- Elson

Elson Boles

Professor, Department of Sociology

Saginaw Valley State University

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

edwardn1
Community Participant

We do have to use Modules.  I manually add it to the calendar and I also put a reminder in the Discussion instructions as well.  You can link to the discussion by editing the calendar post as well.

boles
Community Participant

Right, that's one way. But like I mentioned, with that approach, you won't get the item automatically in the module with a date, and you'll have to redo the links from the calendar item each semester because the link will remain to the discussion for that section... It's just as easy and more efficient to create a non-graded assignment. Also, that way when they move through the module items sequentially, they'll encounter it for certain. Otherwise, it'll only be in the calendar. Just say'n. : - )

- Elson

Elson Boles

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

brent_scholar
Community Participant

Hi Elson,

Thank you for your insights. I am just starting to work in Canvas, and created the first post discussion and ungraded assignment for the subsequent ones. I did create a link in the non-graded assignment, so does that mean I would have to update that link every time to look at that current rendition and not my master shell?

My goal is to not have to update things like this or dates in the narratives if possible since the calendar does such a good of job outlining what is due.

Thank you for clarifying as I this is important things to know as one begins using Canvas.

Brent

boles
Community Participant

Hi Brent -

Definitely our goal too is to reduce updates to the minimum. We don't have BluePrint yet (which is what you might be referring to by a"MasterShell"), so I cannot say whether or not you have to update the link. Once we get BluePrint, I'll test out to see if imports with links to assignments work. But I strongly suspect it won't work because customized internal links (links that an instructor makes to take a student from one area in a course to another area in the same course) will not change just because it's been imported, but will always take students to that very item in that very same course, not to the same area in a new course. I've had this issue come up.

That's why I carefully chose my work around to this CANVAS PROBLEM of not having multiple due dates in a Discussion, which is to create ungraded assignment s-- and to put them in a "Not Graded" Assignment group with zero weight. To be sure, I do create some calendar items, like "1st week" and notes for myself. See last image below. You'll also pick up some best practices looking at how things are organized.

Good luck!

In Assignments: All of the "Second Post" due dates

The assignment as it appears when being edited

As it appears in the Module

As it appears in the Calendar

The items "Week 1," "Week 2" are simply there for students and myself. This helps a lot after importing a class since the dates never import perfectly. Just compare the new class to the old. Also, since the all items are numbered, that makes it much easier. It's ALWAYS much easier to change the due dates of any assignment (discussions, quizzes, etc.) by simply dragging them from one date to another in the Calendar. That's why the Calendar is so useful for course instructors.

- Elson

Elson Boles

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

boles
Community Participant

PS

I always create Teams in People, with 3 to a team. That's not too many, not too few. Do this first when all are enrolled, then be sure to check the settings and select "Teams" in the Discussion settings. Works perfect.

Here's how I handle the instructions for the Discussion itself. They get the hang of it right away. It's easier than it reads...

- Elson

Elson Boles

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

brent_scholar
Community Participant

Thank you again Elson,

First, I have no idea what BLueprint is, I just have a course which I call Master of the course I am teaching, so if others need it I can easily share it without my name in it. It is also good for courses where I collaborate with other profs and we keep a Master shell for that.

What I would be doing is copying Master Shell Course 1 to Spring A Course 1; then Spring B Course 1.  What I will need to do is go into the discussion narratives non-graded assignment and update the link in the Spring A and Spring B Course 1, to match that course, otherwise it will take the students back to the Master Course Shell Course 1 discussion. Is that correct?  The language is specific I just wanted to say it one more time to make sure we are all on the same path.

Brent

boles
Community Participant

My images didn't post, so I added them.  That should help.  

Yes, it sounds to me like it would take them back to the Master Course Shell Course 1.

But you'd have to confirm that with someone at your institution.

Good luck!

hanah1_escoto
Community Novice

I would love to see this feature come to light as I feel it would greatly impact student learning. This would help students focus on the prompt at hand, and completing it at the time it was meant to be completed rather than rushing through and doing all of them at one time,most likely after the time it was supposed to initially be completed. My hope is that it would help them complete initial posts and comments more thoroughly as well as allow time for reflection before completing the next part.