[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

444 Comments
devinr_murphy
Community Novice

I believe this is a great and phenomenal idea. You could assign a long assignment over the course of a week and each day have specific problems assigned to be due and graded. Great idea.

joannaburnside
Community Novice

This feature would be a great help in my class -- I sure hope it is implemented!

kristil_caldwel
Community Novice

I agree that adding the “Check-in “ grading Would aid teachers to work efficiently.  Having this component would increase teacher knowledge of student mastery and what standards need to be reviewed.  

lauraa_hoerning
Community Novice

I agree that being able to submit a discussion over multiple days is important because it would increase user participation and most likely broaden and enrich the conversation. We are a Paideia school and therefore value the power of good conversation. I think this Canvas feature would allow students to review multiple students' perspectives before adding to the conversation. We are also trying to teach our students how to respectfully disagree with someone and this forum would provide a safe space. I believe that this extended submission time would increase student critical thinking as well as positive interaction with each other.  

mstimers1
Community Explorer

Excellent idea! I currently set the "due date" to the midweek checkpoint, which works ok, but people still complain that it's confusing. They also complained when it was set to the end of the week, even though the clearly-posted instructions tell them to post by Wednesday. Awesome idea!!!

lindsapj
Community Novice

And four years later it still hasn't been created??

Patrick Lindsay

Farmer School of Business

Department of Marketing Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: 1038D FSB, Oxford, OH 45056

Ph. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan Rockford

Peaches from A League of Their Own.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM mstimers@ccsnh.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

mstimers1
Community Explorer

Right? I doubt anyone there even listens or pays attention to this stuff, probably just in place to make us feel good, because most of what I see is old posts with lots of comments but no action, and instructure-produced reasons why the feature wasn't implemented. 

lindsapj
Community Novice

Very frustrating.

I have students who could write the code and the implementation interface in one day... given access.

Patrick Lindsay

Mobile

mstimers1
Community Explorer

Very much so!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

@lindsapj  and  @mitchel_stimers  

I can appreciate the frustrations we all face when a feature we would find useful languished in the Canvas Studio for a long time. This one, particularly, is frustrating for me because I first asked for it in the old community around 6 years ago.

Even as frustrated as I am, I would not say

" I doubt anyone there even listens or pays attention to this stuff, probably just in place to make us feel good, because most of what I see is old posts with lots of comments but no action, and instructure-produced reasons why the feature wasn't implemented."

And I would not say that, because I know that Instructure does pay attention to our suggestions, comments and feature ideas. In fact they pay attention to it to the tune of 423 completed feature requests, 14 in Beta, and 19 in development.  That represents a lot of users for whom their pet project reached fruition.

Kelley