cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

(215)
With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

370 Comments
mstimers
Community Member

@jivedocs_unfede ‌

1,379 votes total, 1,370 UP, and just 9 DOWN = 99.4% positive. This have been open for voting and discussion for 1,359 days -- 3 years, 8 months, and 18 days. Why is this not a feature yet?

marisam_schmalf
Community Member

There were so many good ideas relating to this specific post.  I also agree that this would be a great option to provide students with a more detailed concrete way of knowing what specific topic is due when.  Having multiple due dates for dicussion posts are necessary, because often the topic can work together, an addition or something you want to come back to at a later point of reflection.  I think this would be a great add to what is already a very good platform.

mbowen2
Community Member

This would make such a difference for students. 

dauten
Community Member

YES, PLEASE!!  This feature has been needed for so long. Many instructors have an original post due earlier in the week, and responses to peers' posts due by the end of the week. The way it is set up now, I can manually add the earlier due date on the Canvas calendar; however, on the app/ to do list on the student end, only the Sunday due date shows up. Students need to see the earlier due date on their to do list/ on the app as well. 

Kevin_W
Explorer

What about if students put their Dashboard in the new(ish) list view? Will the earlier due date show up? 

acambone
Surveyor

100% agree!

jgrass3
Community Member

This is very much needed, as at the moment the discussion boards appear crossed off in the calendar after posting an initial post. When you are busy with finals it is very hard to remember what all you have done the past week and just go by the calendar/dashboard to do list which says you already completed it.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

This has been needed and asked for since Canvas first went live in 2011!

It is a dang good thing that I didn't hold my breath, although there might be some that wish I had.

tina_luffman
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am in favor of the multiple due dates concept. What I REALLY want in the Discussion area is to see evidence when students return to add the replies to classmates. I do not like having to return and keep checking the Discussions to see when students reply.

Thanks!

Tina

mstimers
Community Member

A comment from two students this spring (anonymous, these came from evaluations). The directive on the evaluation is:

"Please list those course assignments or activities that were the least effective. Please explain why."

Student response 1: "The discussion post due dates. If the due date for an initial post is on Tuesday, then the due date should be Tuesday, not Saturday. The same goes for the first response and so on."

Student response 2: "If the due date on the assignment shows me Saturday then that's the due date not Tuesday. I lost all kinds of points because of stupid dates to have post [sic] up during the week very annoying and stupid"

I'm pretty much on the verge of trashing discussion boards altogether in favor of short essay assignments, as I waste a lot of time each week policing intra-week deadlines, explaining why there is a Tuesday, then Thursday deadline, and dealing with ticked off students that don't read instructions or understand the explanation. Can this be considered,please? We're at 99.3% UP as of this posting (1645 UP / 1657 TOTAL).

lindsapj
Community Member

Mitch, I feel your frustration. I have dealt with these same comments for five years. It has been four years since I created the formal suggestion. In that time Cray Supercomputer completed the next version of programming that is 1600 times per second faster than the fastest ever created (oh btw... by them). Space X has taken over for NASA. Left has grown by 1.4 million drivers and $15.1 billion dollars since then. Alexa was created and became a globally recognized name in households in that same short time. GrubHub, Door Dash... I could go on and on about breakthrough discoveries in five years. But Canvas didn’t agree to the need for two due dates for their Discussion assignment option. Sigh...

Patrick Lindsay

Mobile (513) 505 0828

lkallen
Community Member

This is a good idea and I hope it will be considered by Canvas workers. It would be useful for this to be an option. 

carduccichristi
Surveyor

I also envision using the multiple due dates for discussions that I create where students write about first impressions in the beginning of a course then return at the end of the quarter to write their thoughts on what they have learned related to the same content or question.  It would be helpful to have this in the same discussion thread rather than multiple discussions.

lkallen
Community Member

I completely agree with you!

d00386959
Community Member

It would be helpful if the SpeedGrader somehow distinguished between original posts that students made vs. those that were replies to other posts.

lindsey_donhaus
Community Member

Every semester, I wish this were a new feature...thanks!

lindsapj
Community Member

Me too! It has been over three years since the original request was made.

Just can't be that difficult.

Patrick Lindsay, TCPL

College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science

Department of Commerce Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: Voice of America Learning Center, West Chester, Ohio 45069

Ph. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan Rockford

Peaches from A League of Their Own.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 6:45 PM lindsey.donhauser@asu.edu <

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Patrick,

It's a matter of prioritizing this idea in relation to what other projects are going on. Votes are just one aspect of our development process. For more info: What is the feature development process for Canvas?  

Thanks,

Erin

lmann
Community Member

Erin,

Sharing the process without sharing which phase this idea is in, well, is frustrating and patronizing. Perhaps that's not how you meant to convene it but it's not how I interpreted your response to Patrick.

Right now we have three dates for a graded discussion board "Due", "Available From", and "Until"

What is needed is "Post Due", "Reply Due", "Available From" and "Until"

This has been a discussion idea for over four (4) years. 1766 people have stopped what they were doing and thinking that this is a good idea voted UP. Just within the last six (6) months 400+ people voted for this idea.

220 people took time out of their day to add a comment. 

Why can't Canvas say, great, we hear you and we are working on that feature and here's where we are with it. You can anticipate XX date for this release.

OR

We've decided not to add this feature to our platform.

But instead we get.... here's our process. Sigh!

lindsapj
Community Member

Awesome response. Fabulous.

Thank you.

Patrick Lindsay

Mobile (513) 505 0828