[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
lindsapj
Community Novice

Mitch, I feel your frustration. I have dealt with these same comments for five years. It has been four years since I created the formal suggestion. In that time Cray Supercomputer completed the next version of programming that is 1600 times per second faster than the fastest ever created (oh btw... by them). Space X has taken over for NASA. Left has grown by 1.4 million drivers and $15.1 billion dollars since then. Alexa was created and became a globally recognized name in households in that same short time. GrubHub, Door Dash... I could go on and on about breakthrough discoveries in five years. But Canvas didn’t agree to the need for two due dates for their Discussion assignment option. Sigh...

Patrick Lindsay

Mobile (513) 505 0828

lkallen
Community Novice

This is a good idea and I hope it will be considered by Canvas workers. It would be useful for this to be an option. 

carduccichristi
Community Member

I also envision using the multiple due dates for discussions that I create where students write about first impressions in the beginning of a course then return at the end of the quarter to write their thoughts on what they have learned related to the same content or question.  It would be helpful to have this in the same discussion thread rather than multiple discussions.

lkallen
Community Novice

I completely agree with you!

d00386959
Community Novice

It would be helpful if the SpeedGrader somehow distinguished between original posts that students made vs. those that were replies to other posts.

lindsey_donhaus
Community Member

Every semester, I wish this were a new feature...thanks!

lindsapj
Community Novice

Me too! It has been over three years since the original request was made.

Just can't be that difficult.

Patrick Lindsay, TCPL

College of Liberal Arts and Applied Science

Department of Commerce Faculty

Pi Sigma Epsilon Business Fraternity, Faculty Advisor

Office: Voice of America Learning Center, West Chester, Ohio 45069

Ph. 513-505-0828

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

The hard is what makes it great." Manager Jimmy Dugan Rockford

Peaches from A League of Their Own.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 6:45 PM lindsey.donhauser@asu.edu <

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Patrick,

It's a matter of prioritizing this idea in relation to what other projects are going on. Votes are just one aspect of our development process. For more info: What is the feature development process for Canvas?  

Thanks,

Erin

lmann
Community Novice

Erin,

Sharing the process without sharing which phase this idea is in, well, is frustrating and patronizing. Perhaps that's not how you meant to convene it but it's not how I interpreted your response to Patrick.

Right now we have three dates for a graded discussion board "Due", "Available From", and "Until"

What is needed is "Post Due", "Reply Due", "Available From" and "Until"

This has been a discussion idea for over four (4) years. 1766 people have stopped what they were doing and thinking that this is a good idea voted UP. Just within the last six (6) months 400+ people voted for this idea.

220 people took time out of their day to add a comment. 

Why can't Canvas say, great, we hear you and we are working on that feature and here's where we are with it. You can anticipate XX date for this release.

OR

We've decided not to add this feature to our platform.

But instead we get.... here's our process. Sigh!

lindsapj
Community Novice

Awesome response. Fabulous.

Thank you.

Patrick Lindsay

Mobile (513) 505 0828