[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
ashlei_snead
Community Member

This would be fantastic for the online discussions. Several students have complained they missed the second due date because it is not listed on CANVAS. It helps keep students accountable.

baldwinsh
Community Participant

I like cms_hickss's idea!

My department requires that students create an initial post by Wednesday and have responses posted by Saturday.  Since we can (currently) only have one due date, we chose Saturday, but this creates confusion for students (even though the instructions tell them what to do and the rubric shows them that this part is due by this date and the other part is by this other date), students really only pay attention to that final due date.  Breaking it up as described by cms_hickss or allowing two different due dates would be a lifesaver for both instructors and students!  Better yet!  Having two due dates would allow both parts to show on students' calendars!  Please consider this adjustment for discussion boards!!!!!

annoyedteacher
Community Member

1745 entries on this one relatively simple adjustment that would save all teachers time. I get the feeling that the people that design this platform are not teachers nor do they pay attention. This thread has been in existence for five years now, and nothing has been done. Can't wait to explore other platforms that are actually responsive to the needs of teachers when this contract comes up for renewal.

irene_omara
Community Explorer

Does anyone have any further updates on this? We are starting a new year and new semester here, with even more emphasis on Blended Learning and engagement online.

How far down the list is this issue in terms of development?

aimee_garten1
Community Explorer

Any updates to this suggestion? I'm still desperate for it.

kengland2
Community Member

YES PLEASE! 

@cms_hickss This is exactly how I would use it!

ewelc05s
Community Explorer

The use cases for this feature are plentiful at my university. Intermediate due dates for initial posts and replies and group writing workshop draft and feedback deadlines are the two most at the front of my mind right now. Canvas design encourages students to use the calendar feature/To-Do List to track their work. Having two due dates for discussion topics would allow those due dates to automatically be added and linked from the to-do list. It would encourage STUDENT SUCCESS without putting an extra burden on instructors to find a workaround/secondary step to make sure the initial deadline/post date is included in those student-friendly features.

Mine is the 287th post on this topic.

AshleeBalena
Community Member

I would like to request multiple due dates for assignments.

karissa-peyer
Community Novice

Yes Yes Yes! This is SO needed and clearly has been needed for years. I add "events" to my course calendar to remind students (plus announcements and syllabus info) but they still miss it if it is not on their to-do list.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

As I've been discussing this feature with colleagues at my campus, it actually became evident that this would actually be a useful feature for assignments in general, specifically for peer review. I recognize that would likely expand the scope of the feature but I wanted to know what others think about that. This feature idea is related: multiple due dates for a single assignment and same student in that a broader multiple due dates feature might encompass it.