[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
baldwinsh
Community Participant

@dspiel Yes!  It should be a no brainer, but then, I am still trying to explain to instructors how to grade group assignments when one student's grade needs to be different from the rest of the group.  That seemed like a simple process to me, but...  So while multiple due dates on certain assignments (especially discussion boards) seems like a no brainer, for some they need more explanations.  (No offense, Canvas Developers; I am sure you have a lot going on right now).  But please, if you could make this an option for Discussion Boards and projects that have multiple due dates, we would all be sooooooo appreciative!

deegardner8
Community Member

Another vote here, However, I am a bit discouraged because this has been a suggestion for 5 years now.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

@deegardner8If you saw the CanvasCon opening keynotes discussions is on deck this academic year for improvements, and this feature is on the list. We're all keeping our fingers crossed that it gets prioritized.

jalexanderapr
Community Novice

Wow! I cannot believe this has been discussed for so long. My students are complaining that the discussion prompts do not populate their calendar for both due dates - one for their initial post and one for the replies. 

I am hopeful that Canvas can update this feature to more realistically represent the assignments we are creating. 

bfryman
Community Member

This totally needs to be done.  Now that we are having to have courses online, I find this feature very necessary.  

kyh802
Community Explorer

I'm just here to echo how ridiculous it's been that this is taking more than 5 years to get done. It seems just obvious that it should have happened in the first place.

brethughes
Community Novice

Would love to see this feature on all assignments, not just discussions.  For instance, if a student has a journal due weekly - shouldn't have to create an assignment for each submission - should just be able to have a due date on the same assignment for all applicable students.

ginapersichini
Community Member

I'd love to see multiple due dates for Discussions!  How has this been on the list for 5 years already?

jmc07
Community Novice

I agree that this is a very necessary feature.  I know that others mentioned that with schools going virtual, this is even more imperative.  I am concerned that this has been a suggestion for 5 years and there is no resolution.  This seems like a simple fix.

kmstewart
Community Participant

This would sure help students with their due dates.  Without an assignment sitting out there in their to-do list for the peer reply they sometimes forget.