[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
MarieT
Community Novice

Hi. I am an instructor and I would like to create a discussion post where the original post is graded, then the subsequent comment is graded on a different day, then a second comment is graded on a third day, all tied to the original post. In this way, students will not forget to do the comments because the comment due date will appear in the "syllabus" and assignments list.

Phoenix2100
Community Member

When students post anything on canvas, it should be graded as soon as possible if not then it should be acknowledged that they had turned it in before the due date. They're required to make a post and email it to the appropriate teacher. If  anything should happen to the point where an email assignment "magically" disappears, then they should be able to send another copy and not be faulted for the technical errors in the system. That being said, make sure the students have copies of all assignments and don't trash or delete it. Therefore, there won't be any issue nor irritation when told to redo it. 😊

jillianporter
Community Member

Hi! I want this feature too! How do I "upvote"?

Steven_S
Community Champion

@MarieT  Until this idea is added to canvas, there are two ways to have your discussion due dates show up in the syllabus and calendar.

1. Create canvas pages and add a to-do date.  The to-do date appears on the calendar and syllabus, and the page can include simple instructions to return to discussion ___ and post a reply.  This will not create a separate grading item, but you can attach a rubric to the discussion that includes criteria for the initial post, the first reply and the second reply.  When you grade the discussion you will see the student's initial post and all their replies in speedgrader, and the rubric will open next to it.

2. Create assignments with a submission type "no submission" and put the instructions in that.  It will work the same way as the page for students, but it will add a spot for you to grade in the gradebook, separate from the initial discussion.  When you grade these additional assignment you will not see any of the student's posts in speedgrader.

Neither solution is perfect, but as a work-around to-do dates on canvas pages are an improvement to communicating discussion dates.

irene_omara
Community Explorer

Forgive me if this has been raised already in this discussion - but if multiple check-points/due-dates are being considered for discussions, would it also be possible to get proper annotation function in speedgrader for them as well?

We use discussions as a journaling space for students and need to give more pointed feedback through annotations than is possible by just replying or leaving comments alongside the submission.

It doesn't make sense to me that discussions can be graded without the ability to properly annotate the writing.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

I thought this feature was coming out soon - at least that's what I understood from CanvasCon2020. Please help us understand the timeline for implementation. 

Also I really agree with the need to provide more specific annotations (like for assignments) for discussions.

baldwinsh
Community Participant

If there is a way to upvote @cmeyer42 , then I second the request!  What is the timeline for this implementation?

svishal2001
Community Member

Strongly support this idea. 

hmcnally-vls
Community Explorer

How this isn't a feature in Canvas in the year 2021 is beyond me.

shorts
Community Explorer

What is the status of this "hot topic?" It seems it has generated enough traffic and support to be moving up the ladder in feature requests. Could we get an update on the status of where this requests is at on that ladder? 

Thank you!