[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
dhawley
Community Participant

Yes, this is needed! 

jeremy_winn
Community Member

Not just for discussions, this is pretty useful for larger ASSIGNMENTS as well.  This has been an ask for at least a decade...  Instructure, why isn't this a thing yet?  Too much time allocated to making unpopular RCE updates?

doug_romine
Community Participant

This would be a great feature to add, thanks!

blong
Community Participant

This is much needed at our institution as well!  This would resolve half of the emails I receive each quarter.

sukirti_ranade
Community Explorer

Please add this feature, many faculty have requested this feature for discussions. It will make life easier for faculty and students.

thatcher_bohrma
Community Participant

The Harmonize DB by 42 lines does this.

bryan_tayman
Community Explorer

Love this idea...would like to see it applied to Assignments as well.  Esp. powerful during writing process when students/teachers are going to be working on a single product in multiple stages.

jcellswo
Community Member

I'm very surprised (and disappointed) to find that this still has not been made a feature after almost 6 years. It seems like a no-brainer that students would need one reminder to post and another to reply. Teachers also need a way to grade those two steps separately. Please add this ASAP.

rnead
Community Member

Yes! This would be amazing. I think the developers would need to create a formula. Something like 1 post = due date 1, 2 or most post - due date 2. I think the issue from the developing end would be the linking of the due dates since there would be two (or maybe more) listed within a particular discussion.

montgomery1
Community Participant

Yes, please make multiple due dates possible in Discussions. Students see that it is "due" on the last day and they fail to do the initial post two days prior.