[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
B_Larsen
Community Novice

How is this still not a thing? We've been asking for it from Canvas for 7+ years.

JK16
Community Member

Please add this feature! Having two due dates would make the Discussions feature much more functional for students and teachers. We need Discussions to work. People's posts on this for many years have described why it's so necessary. Please help us with this! Thank you.

baldwinsh
Community Participant

@jscello for my discussion boards, the rubric asks if the initial post was made at the beginning of the week and if replies were made by the end of the week.  Maybe setting up your rubric to encompass both of these would help with your need to be able to grade the post and the responses instead of having them separate?

By I absolutely agree with you that there needs to be two due dates!  There are several assignments where two due dates would come in very handy.  Discussion boards are obvious ones, but there are other instances where multiple due dates could be beneficial.

trose1
Community Member

Yes, PLEASE (as an option to add more than one due date to the same graded discussion). I am not dealing with children but, rather, busy professionals who would benefit from mid-week reminders that they can't save all of their interaction for the weekend.

alexandra_dimak
Community Explorer

We need this! Please make it happen, Canvas!

curtisc716
Community Member

I need this! Would be great to scaffold this

PosterNutbag
Community Member

Yes please, this would be fantastic!

rnewton5
Community Participant

This is a great idea, consistent with distributed practice. Much needed update!

gsmith13
Community Member

Can this PLEASE be added!

ralves1
Community Member

I really could use this functionality as well as multiple due dates assignments.