[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

444 Comments
tonatiuh_rodrig
Community Member

Although it seems pointless given that this topic has been suggested since 2015, I'm posting to add one more voice asking for this feature. I echo what @passerinij said: I can take no for an answer, but an explanation would be appreciated.

judyclipp
Community Member

Hello, Canvas, are you listening? WE DEFINITELY NEED MULTIPLE DUE DATES FOR DISCUSSION BOARDS, and have been requesting this for over six years now. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GET THIS DONE.

jmanders
Community Novice

Yes, PLEASE allow multiple due dates for initial posts and responses to peers!  I always include those in the directions, but many students only pay attention to the single due date that shows in Canvas. 

DeletedUser
Not applicable

All sounds good, so why not just do it? Make life better

jcrawfor
Community Member

Hello. I suggest enabling staggered due dates on discussion board posts. This way, instructors can assign an initial post on one date and replies on another date. When initial posts and replies are due at once, students tend to procrastinate, making the initial post and replies within hours of the due date. This yields hasty, shallow discussions, plus forces students into a mad dash of writing assigned replies at the last minute.

KathyCalvert
Community Member

Right now we are adding a PAGE with a link to the Discussion and adding it to the ToDo list for the Reply Due Date.  Canvas adding this Due Date feature would definitely make things cleaner.   I had thought this would be added with the Discussions redesign. I can't find any documentation that it is in the works.

tdiesch71
Community Member

Yes! More options would be great!

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

It's worth noting that not only has this feature been requested for over 6 years, it also had a score of something like 2,178 before the community platform change. It apparently has 208 votes with what appears to be a 5 star rating, but the voting mechanism on the new community site is still broken for me at least (I have to click several times to get the stars to change color, when I do the number disappears, when I refresh the page the stars are no longer gold).

KELLYEVANS
Community Member

I also like this idea because I teach multiple sections of the same class but on different days so it would be great if I could assign different due dates for the discussions. 

rrego
Community Member

I am an instructor using Canvas as my LMS.  Please considered making Discussions a two part assignment.  The first due date is for the Initial Post and the second due date would be for the peer review.  Also include a plagiarism checker within the Discussion assignment.  At the moment I use a work around for both issues.  The initial post is submitted to an Assignment for a plagiarism checker and a separate due date.  Then students need to post the initial post to a Discussion so they can complete the peer review.  It works, but it's very "clunky" and students require specific instructions to get this right.  Thank you for your consideration.