[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

444 Comments
cadman_shane
Community Explorer

This has been requested for a long time. I am adding my very hearty YES PLEASE to the list. This would be very beneficial for discussions

konkoll
Community Participant

Absolute necessity to avoid the "deathscroll" of a well-scaffolded course.

LauraQuinn
Community Member

Commenting so I can upvote as I also posted about needing to know when new replies need to be graded. 

mbodemer
Community Member

It would be great to assign a discussion forum to have students read something, then post a response to it by classtime, say Wednesday, then discuss in class. Then they would also need to respond to two classmates' posts on the forum by Friday (for example). Being able to have two deadlines would solve this issue.

jhogan11
Community Novice

Being that this idea opened for voting 7 years ago I"m not sure how useful it is to vote; but, yes, this would be a fantastic idea.

trobb
Community Explorer

This has been needed for a very long time.

DrHEdwards
Community Member

Like Blackboard, add a post due date and a reply due date for Canvas discussion boards.

blissg
Community Novice

On Canvas discussion boards, please make it so that we can give students different tasks to complete by a certain date, followed by additional tasks for a later date. For example, in a French conversation board about what they did on the weekend, they would be assigned to report on their own weekend by September 1, and then they would need to respond to two classmates' weekend reports by September 8. 

For something like a discussion board, or a writing assignment that requires a "process" approach, it would be better to be able to include multiple deadlines for different stages within the same assignment, each with their own points, if possible. 

Thank you!

mary_bolton
Community Explorer

Please make this change!  Multiply due dates would be extremely helpful.

MelindaBurchard
Community Novice

I love that idea. I too give two due dates for one discussion post, one for initial post, second for response to two peers. Two due dates would help students remember in their CANVAS calendar.