cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

(203)
With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.

<Sorry if this is a repeated idea. I couldn't find it elsewhere and I'm a newbie>

365 Comments
B_Larsen
Surveyor

How is this still not a thing? We've been asking for it from Canvas for 7+ years.

JK16
Surveyor

Please add this feature! Having two due dates would make the Discussions feature much more functional for students and teachers. We need Discussions to work. People's posts on this for many years have described why it's so necessary. Please help us with this! Thank you.

baldwinsh
Surveyor II

@jscello for my discussion boards, the rubric asks if the initial post was made at the beginning of the week and if replies were made by the end of the week.  Maybe setting up your rubric to encompass both of these would help with your need to be able to grade the post and the responses instead of having them separate?

By I absolutely agree with you that there needs to be two due dates!  There are several assignments where two due dates would come in very handy.  Discussion boards are obvious ones, but there are other instances where multiple due dates could be beneficial.

trose1
Surveyor II

Yes, PLEASE (as an option to add more than one due date to the same graded discussion). I am not dealing with children but, rather, busy professionals who would benefit from mid-week reminders that they can't save all of their interaction for the weekend.

alexandra_dimak
Surveyor II

We need this! Please make it happen, Canvas!

curtisc716
Surveyor

I need this! Would be great to scaffold this

PosterNutbag
Surveyor

Yes please, this would be fantastic!

rnewton5
Surveyor II

This is a great idea, consistent with distributed practice. Much needed update!

gsmith13
Surveyor II

Can this PLEASE be added!

ralves1
Surveyor

I really could use this functionality as well as multiple due dates assignments.

ralves1
Surveyor

Please add this feature.

Reshanga
Surveyor

Please add this feature asap.

ellisonl15
Surveyor II

Great & useful idea!

passerinij
Learner

Eighteen pages' worth of "we need this." But we don't have it yet? I'm... flummoxed. Why hasn't this been addressed? 

I, for one, would be less frustrated if I understood why this "multiple due date" idea hasn't borne fruit? Is it impossible to have two due dates for one assignment? Impossible to link to the same discussion board through two different assignments that could each use the Speedgrader application to access the discussion? (As opposed to my clunky solution of graded discussion + "no submission" extra graded assignment that links back to the discussion, has a different date, and which I score manually.) No way out of this hobble? 

Telling students to take due dates seriously... while also explaining that some due dates are wrong and that others will change later to accommodate multiple posts, multiple paper drafts, etc., is obviously problematic, right?

Maybe what we want is something we just can't have, but if that's the case, I'd like to know why. I'm not a coder, but I'm reasonably bright. And I'll take "no" for an answer if what seems like a reasonable request is actually an impossibility.

Is it actually impossible? And if so, how come? 

DanielleStrimbu
Surveyor

This would be so helpful! There are two due dates with discussions and it would be great to have both show up in to do list

emileerummel
Learner II

I don't understand how this has been asked for since 2015 and we don't have it yet. Discussions are essential in online courses and making professors have to go check dates to ensure the multiple posts were on time is inconsiderate of the instructors and having only one due date for an assignment that actually has multiple due dates is inconsiderate to the students. Please go ahead and add this feature Canvas!

klink
Surveyor II

Please, please add this feature. As @emileerummel notes, not having it is inconsiderate to both instructors and students.

ljp1
Surveyor

It's going on seven years since this OP and although this multiple due date feature for discussions seems to be enthusiastically supported,  it still doesn't seem to have made it into the queue for development. This thread is the only place that showed up in my search, anyway. 

connellm
Surveyor II

This would be an amazing feature!!!! 

ELIJARAMILLO
Surveyor

In CANVAS, for my Icebreaker, I'd like to set up a Discussion Board in which students first post info about themselves by Wednesday, then reply to two other peer comments by Saturday.   So I'd like a  Discussion Assignment with two different deadlines and two separate grades for each of the two tasks in the same Assignment:  Post-personal info by Wednesday,  / make comments on two peer-postings by Saturday.  So there would be two activities within the same Assignment with split task/deadline/grades for each Activity, still in the same Assignment.