[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
anthonem
Community Contributor

Agreed! We just had yet another request from faculty for multiple due dates on discussions.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I had this same exact idea yesterday and today found this old board post.  Isn't that grand?  I enjoy being able to correlate my ideas with others and appreciate this treasure-trove of notions.  Some are Giant with notable potential; others less so.   In brief, I agree this is a great idea. +1

abo_1
Community Novice

Somehow I can't vote for this (the option to click vote up doesn't appear), but I would LOVE to see this feature.  I actually assumed it was already part of canvas because everyone said canvas is good for discussions.  For discussions, their grade is based on both their original post and their responses to other students' posts.  Having this as one assignment with multiple due dates would make it easier for students to do it right (I can't tell you how many emails I'm inundated with every day asking when each part is due...despite my putting a timeline/checklist on the syllabus, describing it in the introduction video, and writing multiple announcements asking them to follow the due dates on the syllabus).  So not only would this be useful for the students, but it would cut my emails down significantly Smiley Happy 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@abo_1 ​, the reason the option to upvote no longer appears is that the feature idea has been archived--and the reasons that it has been archived are that (1) the feature idea achieved a high enough vote total to be moved forward for future consideration and (2) the feature idea received comments from the product team indicating that it is part of the longer-term plan. The October 2015 comment from Peyton Craighill explains the thought process. So even though it's archived, please continue to add your feedback to the comments section, which remains open for participation.

abo_1
Community Novice

Thanks Stefanie!  I hope we see it soon Smiley Happy 

shauna_vorkink
Community Contributor

@peytoncraighill ​ -- Thank you for returning to this thread to provide an update!  We would love to hear more about where this idea is going Smiley Happy  ~Shauna

anthonem
Community Contributor

Looking forward to progress on this. I'm also really glad to hear that this functionality might be applicable to Canvas assignments as well -- would work really great for facilitating journal/blog assignments occurring each week during a term.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@peytoncraighill ​, what you have outlined in your August 24 comment would be fantastic--and from my perspective would comprehensively encompass the desired feature idea as proposed both here and in the bygone community.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

As long as that is optional. I would still want to make my discussions one grade with a rubric that outlines points earned for post versus reply if needed. Personally I wouldn't want to make them into two assignments in effect.

boles
Community Participant

Why we need multiple due dates, or "check in" dates:

1. END STUDENT CONFUSION BY WORK-AROUNDS: Students are utterly confused in the Calendar, Module, and "To do" by the date for an assignment that is incorrect insofar as the instructor has set earlier due-dates for their first submission (to a Group Discussion) or to complete their answers by one due date, and finish reviewing Team members answers by another due date, and then submit by the third due date (for a Team Assignment utilizing Google Docs eventually uploaded to Canvas as a written assignment).

2. REDUCE INSTRUCTOR WORKLOAD FROM WORK-AROUNDS Instructors have to manually add those due dates to the Module and to the Calendar as reminders.

3. Instructors have to remind students that they cannot access the Discussion or the Assignment from the reminders!

4. If multiple due-dates were allowed, then all the due-dates would auto-populate in the Calendar and be in sync with the Module items.  Students could click on the "1st post due: Team Discussion Chapter 1" for a discussion "check in" and it would take them to the same discussion as clicking on the "2nd post due: Team Discussion Chapter 1."   Likewise for the parts of a Team Assignment and PEER REVIEW check in.

MAKE ASSIGNMENTS MORE EFFECTIVE: Multiple due-dates or "check ins" are really needed also because doing work in teams is the FUTURE of education (or already present) and because Discussions and written Assignment are so much more effective when done as team work with multiple check-in requirements where student respond to each other and check each others' work.  Google Docs can be fully utilized this way as the instructor can see all comments and input by team members on a paper.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS REQUEST.

Thanks!!