[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
lindalee_massou
Community Explorer

Have we been having this conversation since 2015 and there is no resolution yet? 

Not to be rude, but isn't 4 years and 29 pages of comments plenty for Canvas to decide to DO something about it? 

Does anyone have a viable workaround

I am currently having after-grading submissions send me an email with a short subject line only ( a "code of section and disc bd name" and then I update by hand. I sure don't like THAT solution, although it is working). 

I know there is also a 2 due date option, but then I have to grade the whole discussion board TWICE. And I'm supposed to do that with how many sections of how many boards with how many students??!!  I don't thinks o! hahaha

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

StephRowe
Community Novice

I see that this a popular topic for people to comment on. I would so love this feature as I require two due dates with each discussion and having Canvas limit us to just one due date is very confusing to students. I do hope that this feature is enabled soon!! 

studyvs
Community Participant

I’m adding a comment to get more visibility on this suggestion. I would add, it would be ideal to have some settings to control the ability to post and reply. Meaning, include a setting that allows students to post initially before a specific date. And then a different setting to allow students to post between specific dates to post replies. I hope that makes sense.

david_christia1
Community Explorer

There used to be a way to vote on ideas to move them into production. Please allow me to add my vote to this. I am contacted by more faculty trying to have one due date for an initial post and another due date for replies peers than with ANY other request.

imagine
Community Member

Yes! For all the reasons everyone is expressing. 

chriswhite
Community Participant

I just saw "Multiple Due Dates" listed on the upcoming features for discussions in the CanvasCon 2020 Keynote. This is on the way!!!

mkm17b
Community Member

Love all of these suggestions! Students in my courses have expressed concern that the Canvas gradebook shows just one assignment deadline when in fact there are two (e.g., I have students post to the discussion board Thursdays and reply to two peers by Sunday). Hope I "voted" correctly in favor of adding multiple due dates/checkpoints for discussion boards (which I did by clicking 5 stars on this idea). 🙂

dbesch
Community Member

Give us this feature please

eprendergas2
Community Member

This needs to be a feature. Like many others who have commented, I have an assignment that requires an initial post and a reply. Students in my course right now sometimes forget to submit their reply because they only get a notification about the due date for the first post. And that's the only due date that shows up in the Course Summary. 

dspiel
Community Participant

This should be a no brainer...