Multiple Grading Periods in Canvas App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

We would like our students to be able to check their grades within the Canvas App. However, since we are in a K-12 environment and use 4 Quarters to grade, it would be beneficial for students to be able to switch between grading periods to get an accurate quarter average.

Comments from Instructure

This idea is complete.  Please review 

*Note: iOS does not provide the ability to toggle between multiple grading periods at this time.  It will display only the current grading period.

33 Comments
sandber
Community Novice

I would like to see this as well! My students' favorite aspect is that their grade is right in front of them, but that is not true now that we've started a new grading period.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! In order to attract the support of other Canvas users to support an idea we always encourage those who submit feature ideas to review and do their best to comply with these tips: How do I write a good feature idea submission?​

If you need to make any adjustments to your original feature idea, just visit your feature idea page at any time, and click the "Edit" button (right-column), make changes, and click "Publish"

In the meantime I will update your feature idea to go up for voting on November 4th! Smiley Wink

joseph_allen
Community Champion

It is absolutely necessary that the app have a grading period filter.  In K12 where we live and die by the quarter grading period, the year long average which the app currently shows is pretty useless.  We have to advise students and parents to go to the browser version to see their real grade and then they start to question why we use this software if it shows an inaccurate grade.  Let's make this feature happen asap.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I am thinking about the entirely inadequate LMS (not Canvas, that's for sure) my Granddaughter's school uses, and what I as her parent would want to see and a big thing would be better grade monitoring functionality.

I would vote for this and other enhancements that can help parents become better participants in their child's education. Then more K12 schools will adopt Canvas, and life will be good.

amber_depetro
Community Novice

I agree that this is crucial. This is our middle school's first year using Canvas and this could be a deal breaker. It was not until today the quarter is ending that the question arose. While we as teachers can filter grades by quarter, students can only do so online. We've taught our 6-8th graders how to use the app, as we are working on iPads. The online version does not work well and I do not want them to have to look in multiple spots for their grades. Having everything in one place and having that easy access for kids was the biggest selling point for our school to use Canvas. I am disappointed now that their dashboard is inaccurate  and am reminded once again that most LMS systems are not yet k-12 friendly.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

cwehnes
Community Member

Students rely on the APP for "instant" grade view. Since our school "functions" via grading quarters, a current quarter grade is essential. Any student desiring a current cumulative grade is able to view this using a browser. Thus, my vote "up."

mattk
Community Novice

Yes!!  Definitely would love to see this feature added.  Our students were able to keep track of their grades right in their app for the whole first quarter.  Then the second quarter hit and we all let out a collective "Noooo!" when we realized that the students could no longer keep track of their grade with that amazingly user-friendly feature of showing their grade right on the home screen of their app.  (Which, by the way, was one of the big factors that led us to adopt Canvas for our 1:1 iPad program instead of Schoology or other options).  We loved how organized and user-friendly Canvas was.  Still do, but will feel like our productivity and students' responsibility and ownership of their grades is suffering a setback until this can be added.

shannon_larrea
Community Novice

This is absolutely necessary for our students.  Please make this a priority!

katie_schlotter
Community Novice

This is VERY important to my students.