Multiple Grading Periods in Canvas App

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016  Learn more about voting...

We would like our students to be able to check their grades within the Canvas App. However, since we are in a K-12 environment and use 4 Quarters to grade, it would be beneficial for students to be able to switch between grading periods to get an accurate quarter average.

Comments from Instructure

This idea is complete.  Please review 

*Note: iOS does not provide the ability to toggle between multiple grading periods at this time.  It will display only the current grading period.

33 Comments
laura_attridge
Community Novice

My middle school students are confused by the "total grade" in the Canvas app.  They believe it is their current grade for that quarter.

crkacoyanis
Community Novice

As a parent, this is very important to gauge the progress of my 2 children.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Just a quick update from Instructureland...We're aware that multiple grading periods aren't currently supported in mobile and we're actively working with the gradebook team to get it fixed.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

Thanks Peyton.  is there any ETA on when this will become available?  Our 55K students and 106K parents are heavy users of the mobile app, but are very vocal that grades are WRONG. We hear this everyday.  We have explained many times the app is an aggregate of grading periods and they should disregard until it is fixed and the browser offers the most accurate quarter grade, but this creates a perception that Canvas is a flawed product.  As soon as this can become available will be helpful.  Thank you.

applem
Community Contributor

Canvas app and multiple grading periods issue

The Overdue assignments from the previous grading period show up in the current grading period Assignments list and students cannot hide (filter) them.

overdue.png

bourjaim
Community Participant

It's been two weeks without a reply, so I will echo Joe's question: Is there any ETA on this fix?  My school has 4,000 students using the iPad app, and if they can't see their current, accurate grade, I'm not sure why I (or any other teacher) should use Canvas at all. 

Virtually every school in the country has semesters and multiple grading periods; it's hard to understand how such a problem wouldn't have been remedied during development.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Update: This is the highest priority mobile issue and we're aiming to have an update pushed live in February. I'll have a more specific timeframe once we're closer to development completion. Thanks for your patience!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This is great news! We rolled out multiple grading periods to a few of our year-long AP courses, and our students (and teacher) are happy to see that the update is in the works.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Heads up, support for multiple grading periods is coming to a mobile device near you! Updates have been pushed to the iOS and Android app stores. Our update is pending Apple's review in iOS (hopefully rolling out to 100% of iOS users by the end of next week), and is already in staged rollouts in Android (roughly 50% of Android users should have access to the update now, 100% by the end of next week).

NOTE: For this initial release, the iOS app will only display the current grading period (i.e., students will see assignments and grades based on the current grading period--without the ability to navigate to other or all periods from the iOS app). The Android app will allow students to navigate between periods, and will display information pertaining to the current grading period by default (i.e., parity with Canvas web). We'll continue work on the iOS side to bring it up to speed, hopefully within a matter of weeks.

Other note: If you aren't using multiple grading periods, none of this applies to you.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Great news Peyton!

I personally don't use mobile, but our students do and so do many of my faculty! Even so, were are not K12, so not much use for multiple grading periods on our campus, but some of our faculty are exploring the idea because we are a tech college and sometimes our terms can be rather flexible or the term of a specific course may not match our official terms.

KLM