Music Notation

0 Likes
(1)

I teach music theory. It would be great if there was a way for students to interact with music notation during quizzes. I've recently larned about Google Flat, which is a web-based music notation system. If there was some way to do something similar within a quiz answer that would be lovely.

Thanks!

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@sbyeliab 

Are you familiar with SmartMusic? We have an idea currently being discussed that requests a partner integration with SmartMusic, but I don't know if that application provides the functionality you're seeking. We'd like to keep conversations around similar use cases unified, so please let us know.

Thanks!

sbyeliab
Community Member

I am familiar with SmartMusic. I think that partner integration would be a great idea, and is something I would use.
As far as I am aware, though, that particular integration wouldn't provide the functionality I'm after. 

SmartMusic is a tool to evaluate student performance on an acoustic instrument.

I'm really talking about a way that I can give a question on a written quiz like, "write the A major scale" and have students provide an answer in musical notation. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sbyeliab 

Thanks for checking out the SmartMusic request. We've moved your idea forward for broader discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jpchilcote
Community Member

I am a music theory professor. It would be amazing to have the ability to write music notation. This could be used for assignments and quizzes. Examples:

Write an Eb major scale.

Write an accidental on the F note.

Write 4 eighth notes,

etc.

amclamor
Community Explorer

I am a music history professor, and I have had to use Zoom instead of Canvas Quizzes for anything that requires students to notate music from the past, such as transcribing Gregorian chant from square notation to modern, or to write out the way a Baroque singer would perform certain vocal ornaments. A simple music notation editor would be VERY helpful.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.