Mute Assignment Without Muting Peer Review Feedback

(4)

Hello,

We would like to request a feature that would allow a teacher to mute an assignment in Canvas without muting the feedback that comes from student peer reviews.

How things currently work:

If you mute an assignment that has peer review enabled, the feedback from peer review will also be muted. This means that muting hides both grades from the teacher and feedback from other students.

How things should work:

It should be possible to, when muting an assignment, allow for feedback from peer reviews to remain visible while still hiding from students grades that the teacher may be working on.

Our reasoning:

These are two separate concepts and should not be affected by the same feature. It is very reasonable for a teacher to want to work on grades and keep this aspect muted at the same time that students provide and view feedback between each other. This feedback does not influence their grades, and therefore it should be possible to mute grades without muting feedback.

Thank you!

9 Comments
jstaylor
Community Novice

As an instructor, I would really appreciate this feature. Currently, I have to choose between muting the assignment so that I can finish grading an assignment before I make it available, and allowing students to read the peer reviews of their work submitted by classmates. There is no reason to have to make this choice, and in fact it would be helpful if students could work on suggestions received through peer review while I am still working on finishing grades for the whole class (out of their view, until I am finished). Please do develop this feature.

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

YES PLEASE!  As a private 9-12 boarding school, we do not give "grades" to first semester freshman.  It's a transition time/year as they are learning to be away from home, how to live with roommates, to learn how our teaching style is, expectations, etc.  So we do pass/fail at report card time.  So for many of our faculty who teach first year students find themselves keeping grades in excel so that they are able to provide feedback to the students in Canvas.  And same goes for peer reviews.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Thank you for this suggestion. Teachers shouldn't have to trade off features down the student operational flow.

bdoran
Community Contributor

Not to take away from the aspect of peer reviews, but there is a similar Feature Idea that might resonate with this group:

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10897-mutingunmuting-feedback-on-assignment-separate-from-grad... 

giamellm
Community Novice

Yes, this would be very useful. For timelines it is important that I am assessing at the same time that peers are. As is I need to toggle back and forth between muting and unmuting

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

On a similar vein, we have found that TurnItIN originality scores are also muted when an assignment is muted.  This means that faculty who need students to be able to review their originality scores are not able to mute the assignment and get started on grading.  In the same way as Peer Feedback, TII feedback should also be made available when assignments are muted.

mkraw4
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful to allow instructors to start grading early while still allowing students to submit and see their TII scores. 

Thank you

RobDitto
Community Champion

According to the outcome of support case 03041253, a behavior closely related to this feature idea apparently became available sometime during 2018.  Student viewing of peer review comments received on their submissions will no longer be suppressed when Mute Assignment has been applied.

(It's not the outcome our institution wanted.)

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.