Mute by Section

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

@THIS has been submitted before  Patricia Tentoni Iva Lovell

Situation:  Multiple sections of one course with varying due dates each week.

If I mute the assignment and grade each section as assignments come in each day, then unmute at the end of the week, students in the Monday section don't see their grades until Saturday.

I'd like to mute each section as I evaluate and unmute when those grades are complete.

Too much delay for students with sections early in the week before they receive feedback on their assignments.

Thank you for considering!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16958-canvas-release-notes-2019-07-13 .

42 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion
james_trueman
Community Contributor

cheers  @RobDitto ‌

dstolz
Community Explorer

Please add this functionality! It's nonsensical to have the option of different due dates by section, but not be able to return graded assignments to students at different times. I teach a course with 24 sections that meet every day of the week and four teaching assistants. Creating multiple assignments is not a viable option. This is essential functionality for classes at large universities regardless of the outcome of the Canvas community voting process. 

ronmarx
Community Contributor

This function would also benefit grade 3-12 teachers because assignments that are turned in early can be graded, reducing the task at due date. Besides, it reinforces punctuality for students by providing immediate feedback.

joe_greene
Community Participant

It's inexcusable for Canvas to not have this option implemented by now. It's obviously needed, it's obviously favored greatly by users, and it's something that even a terrible LMS like Sakai has had the capability to do for years. This is a basic functionality for large university courses and something that probably should have been implemented 2-3 years ago.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

johnpj
Community Contributor

This is consistently the #1 reason why instructors tell me they dislike Canvas over our previous LMS.

Tasha_Biesinger
Community Contributor

We have several faculty at our institution that want this functionality as well. Please develop this!

dstolz
Community Explorer

Dear Canvas developers,

Is your process so thoughtless that this idea will never be implemented unless it reaches some arbitrary threshold of votes? Or do you have intelligent managers who can understand that this functionality is obviously needed, that not including it was an oversight, and that it must be implemented ASAP? This community voting process may be good for some things, but it's infuriating that this feature, whose absence is a logistical nightmare every time I teach large courses, has been stuck in purgatory for years. For God's sake, don't wait for it to be "resbumitted" and "upvoted." Just assign some engineers to implement the feature now. I implore you.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@dstolz  

I'd like to begin with the Community guidelines, and remind you to be kind.  The rhetoric that you are using is very aggressive and abrasive.

That being said, the feature idea process and how it influences product prioritization is a complex system.  You can find more information in How does the feature idea process work?‌ and What is the feature development process for Canvas?‌.  We recently updated our process a bit and you can find the information about changes in Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.  You can also see the priorities we are currently working on in the Canvas Studio‌.   I share these with the intention of presenting the big picture, and not to overwhelm with links.  

I know this does not help give you an answer on this specific idea, but I hope it helps show why it's not as simple as just 'asking an engineer to build it".  This idea is currently being reviewed as part of the top 10%, so we should have an update (prioritized or not) soon.