Name appearing in Inbox

0 Likes

Hello,

I have received feedback from our elementary teachers regarding drafting a message in Canvas. At this level, it can be a bit overwhelming for the students to check both their email and Canvas inbox. Many teachers utilize the Canvas "inbox" as the way they send me messages.  Teachers have expressed that they would LOVE if Canvas made it more user-friendly by not having the drop-down boxes.  Just type the name and start the message! 

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@kellyjo When I compose a message using the Canvas inbox, typing the first few letters of the intended recipient's name reveals the available names that start with those letters; it's not necessary to use the dropdowns for this purpose. Are your teachers reporting that they are not able to do this?

kellyjo
Community Member

Hi @Stef_retired ,

After talking with the teachers to get a bit more clarity, they shared that the step where the students select the course can be a bit overwhelming as our naming convention for the courses is not always that friendly for elementary students. We discussed how to rename the course and will see how that goes. 

Thanks for the response!

Jon

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kellyjo Thanks for letting us know! We've archived this conversation, and good luck with the course re-naming initiative; that should help. Also, please let your teachers and students know that when they nickname their courses, those nicknames will display in their All Courses and Favorites dropdowns in the Inbox. The nicknaming process is documented for students in How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View...