Navigation (Course Navigation) Tabs

0 Likes

Allow students to rearrange the Navigation Tabs in each course. I have some professors that put a lot of tabs on there that we don't utilize. I would like to be able to move my most used tabs (modules, grades, and syllabus) to the top so that I don't have to scan through the full list.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

James
Community Champion

@FreeSkye,

Have you talked to your instructor about hiding the navigation tabs that are not needed for the course? They may not know that they can remove items that are not being used.

I was having a discussion the other day with someone on a related topic and it seems appropriate here. Students generally have one way they like to go to get the information in the course. For many, that is the To Do list or the Calendar. On the other hand, the instructor has a way that they like to arrange the course. This particular teacher had things arranged in modules and every page had a link back to the module that contained it. The student wanted the link to the module removed because they didn't get there from the modules page, they got there from the To Do list and so it didn't apply to them.

I explained that you may want to adopt the strategy the instructor is using so that you do not miss out on things. If the instructor is using modules and you're something else, then you're going to miss out on all the other content that the instructor has for you (unless [s]he has linked to the pages from the assignments). Allowing students to set their own navigation tab order would potentially further the issue of students not finding things that instructors feel are important because that's how they've organized the course. A student might go as far as to hide the modules page because they never use it and then the instructor is very frustrated because the student never watches the videos before they take the quizzes, while the student is frustrated that the instructor doesn't provide any resources.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.