Nested question groups

0 Likes
(1)

I'm an instructor, and would like the ability to use nested question groups. This way I can have a question group to select a set number of questions -- 10, for example -- but have more than that number of question groups within that group. This would help ensure that when selecting random questions, students will be tested on a number of different topics or concepts, rather than seeing questions that may be repetitive. This would be especially helpful in scenarios when there may be more topics or concepts being tested than quiz questions.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@mdocher 

Thanks. We're archiving this idea as it is framed around the functionality of Classic Quizzes. Please refer to the comment we posted to If/then logic for quiz questions for details.

mdocher
Community Member

But I would still like to see this feature. It seems like in New Quizzes, you can select a random number of questions from an item bank. This can still run into issues with repetitiveness on tests, and scenarios where there are a lot of concepts being tested. For example, if I want to ensure that students are being tested on a certain number of concepts/topics, I might need to make an item bank for each concept or topic. If there are 30 concepts, but a quiz only has 20 questions, this could help to ensure that each of the 20 questions is random, but testing a unique concept. Maybe the nesting structure could be implemented in New Quizzes, so that it randomly selects from item banks, and then randomly selects questions from within those banks.

Also, I had posted this as a set of several ideas previously, and was told to go ahead and submit them as separate ideas. I wouldn't have gone to the time and effort if I had known they would just be archived, with no one trying to help me frame them in a way to suit the New Quizzes, when these features still aren't in New Quizzes. It's frustrating to ask for these features and then feel ignored just because the terminology isn't 100% correct.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mdocher 

I apologize for this frustrating experience, and especially that the person guiding you to this site didn't also explain that Classic Quizzes is scheduled for deprecation. Ideally, we would like idea conversations relating to New Quizzes to be authored by those who are already actively using the tool in live courses. 

I found an idea that is related, albeit not identical, to your request, and you might want to add your comments and rating to it: New Quizzes: SubFolders for Item Banks