New Gradebook: Sort by secondary ID

This idea has been developed and is now part of Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18)

I am resubmitting this idea because it was archived prematurely in my opinion. Although search by secondary ID has been implemented, sorting serves a different purpose: 

Our use case is that lecturers receive paper exams sorted by student ID number and grade them in the according order, on paper. They then go to enter the grades in the Gradebook. It would be much easier for them to quickly enter a high amount of grades if they could sort the students by ID (LoginID in our case), not name. Exams are anonymous so names are not a sorting criterion we could use in this case.

Archived idea: 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12280-new-gradebook-sort-on-secondary-id

9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@b_willems  

Sorry that feel like the previous idea was archived too soon.  It was submitted back in September of 2018 and only received 5 votes in the 6 months it was open for voting.  As you can see in How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?‌ we welcome resubmissions of ideas to assess whether the priority has gone form other users or not.

lhoover
Community Novice

This feature is critical for my institution. Our use case is slightly different: many of our students are international and their Display Names in Canvas are often their preferred, English names. However, the names on record in our SIS are the students' legal names. When faculty are entering grades into our SIS from Canvas, the only way they were able to match up these users was often by their Secondary ID. With the New Gradebook, we have a lot of inconvenienced users who are angry that the Secondary ID column has disappeared.

b_willems
Community Explorer

Hi  @lhoover ‌

I was told by our CSM that sorting by secondary ID will come back (soon). Will make sure to post an update here once I see it. Feel free to share the link to this idea so more people vote on it Smiley Happy 

Best, 

Barbara

makraft
Community Contributor

I have a complaint from a teacher who relied on the ability to sort by secondary ID in the gradebook as a part of his grading process for a large class.

I agree that the original feature idea was retired too soon. Maybe in the grand scheme there aren't a lot of teachers who use this feature, but for those who do, it's vital.

I'm also wondering what the big deal was that caused Instructure to remove a sort option? Please put it back!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
This idea has been developed and is now part of Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

@b_willems  Thank You for sharing this idea, as well as  @lhoover  Thank You  @makraft  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine an idea that is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed