New HTML Editor functionality

There is an issue with the new HTML Editor. When switching between different browser/tabs or programs, the editor jumps to the top of the script each time it is re-accessed. This prevents users from working in one section of an HTML script as they constantly need to find their way back to what they were working on. When scripts are hundreds of lines long, this becomes a problem. Please adjust the HTML editor, to ensure this no longer happens. Canvas Tech Support has confirmed this happens Canvas-Wide. 

20 Comments
diane_meterko
Community Explorer

While I love the new Pretty HTML, this suggestion would make a huge difference with the Pretty HTML experience.  I often take some HTML from one course to use in another.  Having the screen jump to the top every time I switch to another open browser is very frustrating and time consuming. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

While I think the Pretty HTML editor helps make finding rogue tags much easier, this is quickly becoming a major annoyance. I may have an example open in another tab, but am working halfway down the page in HTML. Or having the Canvas Page open in another tab to help me visualize the current look of something I was editing.

Currently, jumping to the top of the editor is just making me take longer to do the work as I constantly have to scroll to the correct spot.

instructionalt3
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired ,  I hope this comment finds you well!  I noticed you changed the status of Idea to Moderating - "An idea conversation starter that is incomplete or needs clarification may be placed into Moderating status." 

Is there any further information or clarification that you need? 

Thank you!

KOliveras
Community Participant

I completely agree regarding this.  Likewise, it would be great to see some improvements to the key mapping (specifically for PC’s with touchscreens) as outlined here: Keyboard Shortcuts in the Pretty HTML Editor 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@instructionalt3 We've escalated this internally and are still awaiting word from the product manager, hence the "Moderating" status. I'll update this thread when we have more information. Thanks for the reminder!

gregory_stone
Community Member

This would be a great improvement to save time with the new HTML and having it not go to the top of the HTML editor.

peter_lombardo
Community Member

This would be an amazing adjustment as it is currently extremely difficult while working in the Pretty HTML and working in various pages and documents all at the same time.

KOliveras
Community Participant

Did they just update the key maps?  It seems like typing “d” in the pretty html edits attempts to delete a reply when replying to Discussion posts!  (Win 10, Chrome, Multi-Touch)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KOliveras I recommend that you initiate a support case for this; I'm not able to replicate the behavior you've described.