New HTML Editor functionality

There is an issue with the new HTML Editor. When switching between different browser/tabs or programs, the editor jumps to the top of the script each time it is re-accessed. This prevents users from working in one section of an HTML script as they constantly need to find their way back to what they were working on. When scripts are hundreds of lines long, this becomes a problem. Please adjust the HTML editor, to ensure this no longer happens. Canvas Tech Support has confirmed this happens Canvas-Wide. 

20 Comments
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, all,

I'd also recommend submitting a support case for this behavior. If support has indicated this happens across Canvas, it's something our teams may need to look into further.

Thanks,

Erin

instructionalt3
Community Explorer

Hi @erinhmcmillan.

We did submit a support case for this first.  They advised us to submit an Idea in Canvas Community. 

Case Number: 07366264 

"I understand you were seeing the HTML editor jump up when switching tabs/browsers. I looked into this for you and it seems this occurs not only for you institution, but Canvas wide. It seems this is the way the HTML is built in Canvas. If you want to request a change, this needs to done on our Canvas ideas page HERE."

Should we submit a new ticket or what's the best course of action for this situation? 

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@instructionalt3 and to everyone participating in this thread, our engineers have treated this as a bug and have developed a fix that will be part of the next deploy. Please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-17) for more information. 

As this idea does not need to go forward for general community consideration, we've archived it. Thanks for your patience!

hechla
Community Participant

Glad to see this is being treated as a bug and will be fixed. There's so much about the new "Pretty HTML" editor I don't like as I was used to using Canvas Syntax Highlighter userscript which was awesome. And now doesn't work, although I'm not sure why. Still need to look into that. That, BTW, actually searched the entire rce/html when doing ctrl+f. 

diane_meterko
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired  - We're still experiencing this issue.  Also, when I look at the deploy notes for 3/17/2021, it appears they removed the section about this Pretty HTML fix.  What happened? 

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@diane_meterko I can still see the writeup under Fixed Bugs in the 3/17/2021 deploy notes:

When a user switches between editors, focus is retained in the editor link (Pretty HTML editor or Raw Editor, respectively).

Please ask any users who are still experiencing this to submit tickets to Canvas Support. Thanks!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

HI, all,

An update was also made as noted in the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-05-12) - Canvas Community

Thanks,

Erin

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team