New Quiz Feedback doesn't show unless essay type question is manually graded

0 Likes
(16)

Using new quizzes for additional practice or review doesn't allow for general feedback for essay-type questions to appear automatically. You can add the feedback generally regardless of whether the answer is correct or incorrect, however, the general feedback doesn't appear without it being graded manually.

This is a feature in classic quizzes whether the test is graded or not. There is no option for practice quizzes, graded surveys, or ungraded surveys.  General feedback is necessary when students want extra practice or review that isn't required for the course.

20 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

DanicaBotts
Community Explorer

I am using New Quizzes essay to collect ideas and I want students to see model answers that I entered under the general feedback section. It appears it won't release my feedback until I've graded every response.

Here is a video of the issue. https://watch.screencastify.com/v/rg848qVOFJGkeFEpUKOC

abutton
Community Explorer

We also require this functionality, and have 0 mark short written answer questions within the old quiz functionality that supply students with a model answer on submission. However, this functionality does not seem to be available in new quizzes and requires teachers to provide a grade regardless. This seems like a serious functionality flaw with the new quizzes.

abutton
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

We would like the option for a model answer to be available to students (i.e., the general feedback) before an educator marks an essay question. At the moment, having some general feedback immediately available to students was functionality in the classic quizzes, which has been removed in New quizzes, so a teacher has to go and manually assign a grade before students see anything. This seems counter intuitive for pre-set feedback to not immediately appear, so we can give students some prompts on key material they should have included in their answer before marking. It could be several days before a teacher marks the student's work, so allowing them some immediate pointers before individualised feedback gives them the opportunity to revise key areas. In classic quizzes, we sometimes set essay questions to 0 grade too so students would only receive the general/model feedback. However, in New Quizzes, it seems all essay questions have to be moderated by a teacher regardless, which isn't always appropriate when they are only short written answers.

Proposed solution:

We would like to be able to set the grade for essay questions to 0, and have them not appear on the teacher's dashboard. We would also like the option for the general feedback on an essay question to appear immediately after a student has answered a quiz alongside their other numerical grades, as it did in classic quizzes.

User role(s):

instructor,student,designer,observer

SJ22
Community Member

This would be a very helpful feature to have!

rfcprince
Community Member

I agree! Students should be able to see mock answers and get feedback as soon as their answer is submitted, without teacher input.

chenshall
Community Participant

Yes, absolutely agree! It doesn't make sense to have removed the ability to provide pre-set feedback to students.

chenshall
Community Participant

@KristinL Yes, this is the same idea/issue that we have! Looks like a few people need this functionality.

rfcprince
Community Member

This feature is important within our current e-learning courses that use old quizzes, and to remove this functionality within new quizzes would be very frustrating for us as we would have to find a complex (and potentially less user-friendly) work around for this.

chenshall
Community Participant

This is an essential functionality for us. We really need students to be able to see general feedback on essays without a teacher manually marking each essay. Please see here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Reveal-general-feedback-to-students-in-New-Qui...

TracyDoran
Community Explorer

I have noticed this issue too

TracyDoran
Community Explorer

It is so key to our working to be able to see general feedback. 

chenshall
Community Participant

If this helps at all, I've done a short video comparison of the functionality that exists in Classic Quizzes verse where it's missing in New Quizzes. I've popped the video in a Rise course, which you can check out here.

chenshall
Community Participant

@DanicaBotts Your screencast was really helpful - I've done a similar one that is viewable in this Rise course. Hopefully Canvas will pay attention!

JanetteD
Community Novice

From an instructor point of view this a burden and not a good use of time, if one has to manually mark as complete.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

This feedback is essential for both our TAs and our students to see as soon as the quiz is completed rather than completely graded.  Please make this a part of the New Quizzes design before deprecating the classic quizzes!

EsmeHugo
Community Member

Our institution also needs this functionality.

StuartDixon
Community Novice

The ability to add essay questions with automated model answer feedback is also crucial for our students. It allows for self-paced learning, which is essential for our programme. It is somewhat frustrating that this functionality was available in the classic quiz. Moreover, new quizzes appear in the grade book, including the practice quizzes we create. Again, another feature that has been lost in the new quiz format. I hope they address these issues soon.

cmagness
Community Member

Similarly, we need to be able to provide automated model answer feedback for essay questions in New Quizzes. This is a self-paced course, so it will not be feasible for our instructors to grade in real time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.