[New Quizzes] Ability to copy entire item banks

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Item banks in New Quizzes have a lot of better features for me than the old Question Groups. And I love being able to share those banks with a colleague. But, right now, if that colleague wants to copy them to be able to make their own adjustments to the questions, they have to copy each question individually. This is a tedious process and also opens up multiple opportunities for a slight mis-click and for a question to be basically "taken" instead of "copied". The ability to copy an entire bank all at once would be a huge time saver and security measure against the bank being changed by another staff member.

44 Comments
KathyPalm
Community Participant

Our institution would really benefit from this feature.

george_franz
Community Participant

I have literally put thousands of hours into question banks.  I created spreadsheets and macros to create custom xml import files to load specially created questions into canvas question banks.  Many of my chemistry banks have literally thousands of questions.  There is absolutely no way to move to new quizzes without the ability to import and export banks.  I certainly will not create any items in new quizzes if I cannot export them.  I've shared many of my item banks with others outside of my institution.  It seems that new quizzes severely limits reusability and portability, which is what most other platforms are trying to achieve.  If I change institutions and have done any development in new quizzes, then all of my work is lost.  I'll go back to Moodle before I'll use new quizzes unless they add export/import..  It has the drag-and-drop question type that I like so much for card-sorts anyway.

cmgardner
Community Participant

We need this feature to be able to make IEP accommodations.  

peitlerg
Community Member

Yes Please!

sbridge
Community Participant

I need this to make a bank with IEP modifications.  I'm brainstorming.  Do you think it would work to create a new quiz with all of the questions from the bank.  Upload to commons.  Then download back into a course or your sandbox.  As you go in to make accommodations (drop an answer etc.) place the questions into a new bank?  I'm thinking this might be the most efficient way that we currently have.  Any better ideas are welcomed.

ellisonl15
Community Participant

I've never met a developer who likes clicking. Why do the Canvas developers think that instructors take such joy from it? 

thomas_maerke
Community Participant

Yes please. 

For the purpose of modifying questions and answer options for students with modifications, copying an entire Item Bank (same teacher-same Course) to create a modified assessment would be massively helpful. 

mmrasmussen
Community Participant

In addition to being able to copy entire banks, it would be beneficial to have the option that exists in Classic Quizzes question banks of copying/moving multiple questions at the same time from one bank to another.

CTrapani
Community Member

we need this desperately as a department that helps faculty build courses that are then shared with many faculty who want to make the course their own.

kwhite213
Community Member

This is needed by many faculty we work with. Please make this happen!