[New Quizzes] Activity Log

On the old quiz format, if you went to a student's activity log during or after the quiz, you can see when the student "exited" or clicked out of the quiz. This was a very useful feature to keep students honest. The new quiz format does not indicate this if a student clicks away from the quiz while taking it. It is possible to add that back to the new quiz format?

45 Comments
mormanam
Community Explorer

Yes! And it would be wonderful if it could be at-a-glance or if it could be indicated on their submission when I open the new quiz in speed grader or moderate. For instance, if I go to the moderate screen, if there could be a red dot or something next to the "activity log" that would appear on the students as a "window change notification" or something during the quiz so that by scrolling down my moderate screen I could easy see which students had an abnormal event that canvas has registered then I wouldn't have to click each student I could just check the ones who had a window change notification or something. 

ayer_j
Community Member

I've been hoping for this feature as well. AND I would add, it would be nice if the qui sent up a "red flag" when there is something in the log like this!  Even in the classic quizzes, you had to know to go to the log or just check every one. I'd want to check only if I needed to. So something to alert us in the graded quiz that there is an irregularity in the log would be great.

mormanam
Community Explorer

YES! this would be amazing. I totally agree! 

jacobse
Community Explorer

I would concur that the activity log is a integral component for any quizzing application to be able to see when the quiz was started/ended including the advanced features Canvas provides of showing in the sessions where restarted or the student left the quiz window. 

It would also be great to continue to see specific questions answer selection in detail is needed in comparing if the student left the window and returned and changed an answer.  This are all needed before new quizzes can be useful for faculty (including being able to use third party apps which is another reason we cannot use new quizzes (Equatio, YuJa, and other apps).

svonderbruegge
Community Explorer

NEW Quizzes must log when students leave the quiz (classic quizzes has this feature and it MUST stay)

Logs for Classic Quizzes included any time that a student left a quiz (for example, to open another app or browser tab for the purpose of searching for an answer).

NEW Quizzes does not include this information in the logs for a quiz.

This is a CRITICAL functionality that NEW Quizzes lacks. With the increase in On-Line learning due to Covid-19 the need for this type of information is even more necessary for teachers to have access to.

Please include this functionality OR do NOT deprecate classic quizzes.

Included is a screenshot of the type information the classic quiz log records. Note that time spent "off-quiz" is highlighted in red. That is extremely useful information.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.32.08 AM.png

JFJT
Community Member

I loved this feature.

Moser621
Community Member

Yes to this!  So important to see this.  Would also be nice to see this is other types of assignments as well. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

The old activity log also used to record the questions that students view.  When you set up  a quiz to ask one question at a time, showing which question a student opens is way to track progress that is missing from the new quizzes log.  For example, a student opens the quiz, and looks at it, but has only seen question 1 before navigating away, wouldn't necessarily be leaving the quiz for something in questions 2-10.  The time that students exit, in sequence with when they view and answer each question, should work together to show which exists are a potential exam security issue. 

david_simpson1
Community Explorer

Activity logs that indicate when students leave the NewQuizzes section need to be reinstated. It is critical for validity of online assessment.

rdesouzafaur
Community Novice

This would really help.